LUNGevity’s VA Research Scholar Award for Lung Cancer Translational Research program supports fellows interested in lung cancer research within the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Applicants must hold a doctoral degree and either be pursuing a postdoctoral fellowship program or be juniorfaculty within the first five years of their faculty appointment and plan to pursue a career in lung cancer research at a Veterans Affairs institution (or an academic institution with an affiliation with a local Veterans Affairs institution)
- The VA Research Scholar Award is a mentored award; a mentoring plan is part of the required submission
Projects that will be funded in 2021 are expected to have a direct impact on the early detection of lung cancer or on the outcomes of lung cancer, or to provide a clear conceptual or experimental foundation for the future development of methods for early detection and/or individualized treatment, including through targeted therapy and immunotherapy. In addition, the proposed research must have relevance to the veteran population, related to either screening/early detection or treatment of lung cancer.
The VA Research Scholar Award may be for a maximum of $100,000:
- $50,000 per year for two years (direct costs only)
- Annual milestones must be met
Note: LUNGevity will grant only one VA Research Scholar Award per institution.
LUNGevity uses a two-step application process:
- A letter of intent (LOI), with a brief overview of the proposed project and biographical information
- A full application with an extended narrative about the project, as well as supporting information and documentation. (Because there are a limited number of awards, only a subset of applicants is invited to submit a full application after the LOI review is completed.)
Reviewers are drawn from our Scientific Advisory Board and other lung cancer experts. Awardees have progress and financial reporting obligations during their award term.
A complete description, terms and conditions, and instructions are included in the 2021 LUNGevity VA Research Scholar Award RFA. All application materials must be submitted electronically via proposalCENTRAL.
2021 VA Research Scholar Award Timeline
|LOIs due:||by February 24, 2021, 11:59 pm EST|
|Full application invitations:||No earlier than April 1, 2021|
|Full application due (by invitation only):||May 10, 2021, 11:59 pm EDT|
|Award announcement:||Late summer 2021|
|Anticipated year-one funding:||November 2021|