LUNGevity spoke with Cheryl Bellomo, MSN, RN, who answered questions about the impact of COVID-19 on patients in her rural area in Utah. Cheryl is an oncology nurse navigator at Cedar City Hospital in Cedar City, Utah.
These are some of the questions addressed in the video:
- What is the role of an oncology nurse navigator as part of the cancer care team at your hospital?
- What is the current stay-at-home directive in Utah and how has this affected patients with respect to their home/work life?
- What is the status of care services at the hospital (for example, screening, surveillance, and telehealth)?
- How are patients and health care professionals adjusting to telehealth services in the rural communities you serve?
- What do patients need to know about telehealth services before they start?
- What are some questions on the minds of patients based on their need for cancer care during the pandemic?
- Are there myths about COVID-19 that need to be urgently clarified in the communities you serve?
- How do patients learn about COVID 19 and what to do, from public communications and hospital communications? Where do they get their information, and the right information?