..he was admitted a couple of hours ago, he was fine this morning, we went to his onc. we talked about my husband having some weakness on his left side, he ordered an MRI and told him to up his steroids.
..after we went out to eat, came home, he was doing odds and ends, I watched my soap, was tired, fell asleep, he was sitting on the other sofa, later the phone rang, it was for him, I look over, he was sitting up, eyes wide open, expressionless, not able to talk or move. At first I thought he was joking, but it wasn't a joke. I called 911, then my mom, then the cancer ctr..
all the emts, fire dept, police dept. in my house, for the life of me, I couldn't remember all his meds. he wasn't responding to any of them, they took him by ambulance to the hospital.....
..I was a few minutes behind.. at the er, he was still unresponsive, eyes wide open, looking around, they gave him some iv steroids and some ativan. I told them to talk to his onc. he went for chest xray and a ct scan of brain. As you may or may not know my husband has brain mets...
...the nurse told me he had a seizure right as he was in the er..but still didn't know. His onc. finally came and looked at my husband, he checked him out and told me, he was resisting him, which was a good sign, meaning some response, dr. told me he thinks he was having seizures, didn't rule out a stroke, but thought not so....we talked about a DNR ...he filled one out....but I held off on for tonite, let him get thru......
...he was admitted, but all the wait for a bed, the er was packed, was it a full moon?....my sister came up, he didn't respond to her either....I told her to go home....I'll be ok ( not)...but later on, he sat up in his bed, moaning...mumbling...I called the nurse, she called the ER dr. ....this was encouraging...but he still wasn't responding to me....I told him it was alright....but then we fell back to sleep...all the meds....then later he mumbled..."got to get up".....told him no....just rest...finally after mmmm 6 hrs...a bed upstairs.... got him settled.....he woke up....mumbled again....I asked him if he knew he was in the hospital...he shook his head yes, but still couldn't squeeze my hand...or speak....told him i love him and had to go home to the girls...
my girls were so upset, I told them, daddy had a seizure and was staying in the hospital...he was sleeping....
i'm just rambling....but that look on my husbands' face, when I first saw him...I will never forget...I don't know if this is a turn for the worse....I'm not ready, no matter how much I think I am...not yet....I know its' not his time yet, but I don't know how will he be in the morning....its' so hard to sleep tonite.....
please just pray for Carlton....
9/05 found mass on lung and spot on CC's liver
10/05 dx ext sclc started cisplatin and etoposide
12/05 ct tumors shrunk about 80%
2/06 7th final rd of chemo
3/06 ct further shrinking
4/06 numbness on left side
4/06 head ct scan reveals lesions
4/06 MRI can inconclusive onto echocardiogram and lp
4/07/06 echocardio initial negative
4/08-4/23/06 - lp done, excessive blood sugar ct, er for treatment, indication of cause was steroids which were stopped, another MRI of brain, indications of early brain mets. 4-5 weeks of radiation of brain to begin
4/24/06 focal seizure to left side, onto boston, consult w/ onc, told start brain rad.
4/25/06 rad started, put on keppra for seizures, saw dr. wants brain rads 4 weeks, then start on chemo to lung w/ gemstar and irecotan.
5/10/06 met w/ onc. finish up wbr and
5/24/06 finished w/ wbr
5/26/06 met w/ onc. not good, lung and liver tumors have grown about 2-3x's what they were after 1st chemo treatment. also spot on adreanal gland. onc. wants to start up chemo next week, probably ireceotan,(?sp) and gemzar.
6/02/06 - started new treatment of gemzar and irecotan. for 2 rounds
6/15/06 platlets low need to go for transfusion
6/16/06 transfusion done, dr. wants mri - brain and ct-chest to see whats happening, will be changing chemo based on results..
6/23/06 Brain Mets gone as indicated thru MRI...
CT reveals tumor in lung has grown slightly, onc wants is stopping current chemo, because of side effects, radiologist wants to nuke the lung, onc leary because of risk of position of tumor around large blood vessels...he is consulting w/ rad. perhaps cyberknife....onc. had decided to start tropecician(sp?)alone soon.
7/05/06 Cyberkn not an option, bone scan tomorrow, fri. starting taxol and topotecan
7/06 needs blood transfusion
8/4/06 major reaction to taxol, to the er, taxol is stopped only now topotecan. looking into clinical trials
9/06 ct and mri indicate cancer has grown 2x lung. and brain tumors are present.
9/06 One oral etoposide 100 mg daily.
will begin at begin of 10/06 w/ IMRT of the brain and down to 50 mg of etoposide
9/29/06 - 1 year since all this began, onc. called stop etoposide, begin decadron ( Mon ), waiting on temodar, till IMRT begins
10/2/06 IMRT starts and rad of lung/liver...some tumor markers show some decrease
10/16/06 mri shows shrinkage in brain mets, tbd - onc if back on etoposide w/ rad
10/24/06 - some "left side" tremor activity, upped keppra to 2x day
11/1/06 imrt, rad stopped, going back to oral etoposide, just waiting for increase in platlette cts. to start up
11/13/06 IMRT started back up, platlets still low - no chemo yet
11/27/06 brain mets are back, larger and more of them, stop imrt, onc. wants cc to start up oral etoposide today, will monitor bloodwork closely
12/18-12/22 stopped the etoposide, made it to 21 days - dr. said incredible. blood levels all out of wack, procrit and neupragen shots all around. Ct chest and MRI brain to see what dealing w/ now. CC( hubbys' nick) is off of chemo and starting to get appetite back
1/07 onc can't believe response shrinkage of 90% to lung and 50-60 for brain mets, continue on another round of etoposide, this time 10 days on, 10 days off
1/30/07 - Carlton has major seizure, goes to ER, admitted, unresponsive, told brain mets have grown, slowly comes out, but very shakey and not remembering
2/5/07 - sent home, VNA to come and set services in place, bed, commode, walker
2/8 - dr. visit, Carlton wants to continue chemo on outpatient basis
2/9 - 2/10- called dr. Carlton not good, has fallen 4x's sleeping most of time, think he needs to be hospitalized, dr. agrees Carlton hospitalized
2/10 - another seizure, not big, seems ok
2/12 - Carlton in ICU, having major seizures on and off for 4 hrs, decide to DNR and only comfort and care, waited 4 days in icu, finally on cancer ward of hosp. in his own room. Carlton is in a coma, non responsive, pneumonia setting in, getting worse, girls visit on 2/19 for last time, say goodbye to daddy
2/21 - Carlton is gone, very quick, I wasn't there, but came shortly after, he is in no more agony.
Last edited by EastCoastLadi on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.