* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:03 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

..he was admitted a couple of hours ago, he was fine this morning, we went to his onc. we talked about my husband having some weakness on his left side, he ordered an MRI and told him to up his steroids.

..after we went out to eat, came home, he was doing odds and ends, I watched my soap, was tired, fell asleep, he was sitting on the other sofa, later the phone rang, it was for him, I look over, he was sitting up, eyes wide open, expressionless, not able to talk or move. At first I thought he was joking, but it wasn't a joke. I called 911, then my mom, then the cancer ctr..

all the emts, fire dept, police dept. in my house, for the life of me, I couldn't remember all his meds. he wasn't responding to any of them, they took him by ambulance to the hospital.....

..I was a few minutes behind.. at the er, he was still unresponsive, eyes wide open, looking around, they gave him some iv steroids and some ativan. I told them to talk to his onc. he went for chest xray and a ct scan of brain. As you may or may not know my husband has brain mets...

...the nurse told me he had a seizure right as he was in the er..but still didn't know. His onc. finally came and looked at my husband, he checked him out and told me, he was resisting him, which was a good sign, meaning some response, dr. told me he thinks he was having seizures, didn't rule out a stroke, but thought not so....we talked about a DNR ...he filled one out....but I held off on for tonite, let him get thru......

...he was admitted, but all the wait for a bed, the er was packed, was it a full moon?....my sister came up, he didn't respond to her either....I told her to go home....I'll be ok ( not)...but later on, he sat up in his bed, moaning...mumbling...I called the nurse, she called the ER dr. ....this was encouraging...but he still wasn't responding to me....I told him it was alright....but then we fell back to sleep...all the meds....then later he mumbled..."got to get up".....told him no....just rest...finally after mmmm 6 hrs...a bed upstairs.... got him settled.....he woke up....mumbled again....I asked him if he knew he was in the hospital...he shook his head yes, but still couldn't squeeze my hand...or speak....told him i love him and had to go home to the girls...

my girls were so upset, I told them, daddy had a seizure and was staying in the hospital...he was sleeping....

i'm just rambling....but that look on my husbands' face, when I first saw him...I will never forget...I don't know if this is a turn for the worse....I'm not ready, no matter how much I think I am...not yet....I know its' not his time yet, but I don't know how will he be in the morning....its' so hard to sleep tonite.....

please just pray for Carlton....

Grace

10/05 dx ext sclc started cisplatin and etoposide
12/05 ct tumors shrunk about 80%
2/06 7th final rd of chemo
3/06 ct further shrinking
4/06 numbness on left side
4/06 head ct scan reveals lesions
4/06 MRI can inconclusive onto echocardiogram and lp
4/07/06 echocardio initial negative
4/08-4/23/06 - lp done, excessive blood sugar ct, er for treatment, indication of cause was steroids which were stopped, another MRI of brain, indications of early brain mets. 4-5 weeks of radiation of brain to begin
4/24/06 focal seizure to left side, onto boston, consult w/ onc, told start brain rad.
4/25/06 rad started, put on keppra for seizures, saw dr. wants brain rads 4 weeks, then start on chemo to lung w/ gemstar and irecotan.
5/10/06 met w/ onc. finish up wbr and
5/24/06 finished w/ wbr
5/26/06 met w/ onc. not good, lung and liver tumors have grown about 2-3x's what they were after 1st chemo treatment. also spot on adreanal gland. onc. wants to start up chemo next week, probably ireceotan,(?sp) and gemzar.
6/02/06 - started new treatment of gemzar and irecotan. for 2 rounds
6/15/06 platlets low need to go for transfusion
6/16/06 transfusion done, dr. wants mri - brain and ct-chest to see whats happening, will be changing chemo based on results..
6/23/06 Brain Mets gone as indicated thru MRI...
CT reveals tumor in lung has grown slightly, onc wants is stopping current chemo, because of side effects, radiologist wants to nuke the lung, onc leary because of risk of position of tumor around large blood vessels...he is consulting w/ rad. perhaps cyberknife....onc. had decided to start tropecician(sp?)alone soon.
7/05/06 Cyberkn not an option, bone scan tomorrow, fri. starting taxol and topotecan
7/06 needs blood transfusion
8/4/06 major reaction to taxol, to the er, taxol is stopped only now topotecan. looking into clinical trials
9/06 ct and mri indicate cancer has grown 2x lung. and brain tumors are present.
9/06 One oral etoposide 100 mg daily.
will begin at begin of 10/06 w/ IMRT of the brain and down to 50 mg of etoposide
9/29/06 - 1 year since all this began, onc. called stop etoposide, begin decadron ( Mon ), waiting on temodar, till IMRT begins
10/2/06 IMRT starts and rad of lung/liver...some tumor markers show some decrease
10/16/06 mri shows shrinkage in brain mets, tbd - onc if back on etoposide w/ rad
10/24/06 - some "left side" tremor activity, upped keppra to 2x day
11/1/06 imrt, rad stopped, going back to oral etoposide, just waiting for increase in platlette cts. to start up
11/13/06 IMRT started back up, platlets still low - no chemo yet
11/27/06 brain mets are back, larger and more of them, stop imrt, onc. wants cc to start up oral etoposide today, will monitor bloodwork closely
12/18-12/22 stopped the etoposide, made it to 21 days - dr. said incredible. blood levels all out of wack, procrit and neupragen shots all around. Ct chest and MRI brain to see what dealing w/ now. CC( hubbys' nick) is off of chemo and starting to get appetite back
1/07 onc can't believe response shrinkage of 90% to lung and 50-60 for brain mets, continue on another round of etoposide, this time 10 days on, 10 days off
1/30/07 - Carlton has major seizure, goes to ER, admitted, unresponsive, told brain mets have grown, slowly comes out, but very shakey and not remembering
2/5/07 - sent home, VNA to come and set services in place, bed, commode, walker
2/8 - dr. visit, Carlton wants to continue chemo on outpatient basis
2/9 - 2/10- called dr. Carlton not good, has fallen 4x's sleeping most of time, think he needs to be hospitalized, dr. agrees Carlton hospitalized
2/10 - another seizure, not big, seems ok
2/12 - Carlton in ICU, having major seizures on and off for 4 hrs, decide to DNR and only comfort and care, waited 4 days in icu, finally on cancer ward of hosp. in his own room. Carlton is in a coma, non responsive, pneumonia setting in, getting worse, girls visit on 2/19 for last time, say goodbye to daddy
2/21 - Carlton is gone, very quick, I wasn't there, but came shortly after, he is in no more agony.

Last edited by EastCoastLadi on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:12 pm 

Carlton is in my prayers. I am praying for a positive outcome. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Stay strong.
-Danielle

12/13/06- Chemo Round 1
12/26 - radiation started
1/03/07- Chemo Round 2
1/12 - CT scan to check progress -waiting nervously on results.
1/23 - CT results are in... Onc says no improvement. Now sees possible liver mets too.
01/24- Chemo Round 3 scheduled
02/14- Chemo Round 4 -- Finishes Radiation! Yay! Still holding up very well.
3/07- Chemo was postponed a week as red blood cell count was low.
3/14- Chemo Round 5 but with no avastin yet.
4/4- Last scheduled chemo, finally added avastin, but red cells still low. Will start on Protonix shots every wednesday for 3 weeks.
4/5- Waiting to hear when scans will be done. Very nervous, mom says all original pain is back. Will get these results and see whats next. Onc says prob more chemo :(
4/18- New scans, will walk on pins and needles till 4/24 results.
**I STILL Believe In Miracles!**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:35 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

You, your girls, and Carlton will be in my prayers. I know that the experience tonight had to be very frightening.

9/06: Diagnosed with IIB squamous cell NSLC, lower right lung, via investigative bronchoscopy.
9/06: PET measured SUV of primary tumor at 19. Lesser uptake in some nodes.
10/06: Bilobectomy (right lower and middle lobes) performed

10/10/06. Tumor 3cm; 2 positive hilar lymph nodes; clean margins, clean mediastinum. Some vascular invasion. Partial lung collapse. Lesions on the right adrenal and liver, judged on PET to be benign, will re-scan in January. (T2N1M0)
Excellent surgical recovery, except for continued weight loss...eating, but has lost about 22 pounds total.

11/9/06: Began chemo with Cisplatin and Gemzar. Chemo continues through January'07.

1/24/07 Finished chemo 1/22. First 2-3 round of chemo, moderate side effects. Last 2 rounds, severe side effects: nausea, weakness, fatigue, bone pain, dehydration, weight loss, blood count issues. Took temporary leave from work. First CT planned for 1/25/07.
1/26/07: Chest CT clean - no issues!

2/07-3/07 Feeling well, becoming active again, back at work, looking forward to starting life over.

4/07: Developed noticeable memory problems and unusual vision symptoms. Brain MRI on 4/16. Has a 2.75cm tumor in occipital lobe of brain.
Tumor (brain met)removed 4/26.
Will begin WBR after surgical recovery.
Has lost significant amount of eyesight due to tumor and surgery.

May/June 2007: Whole brain radiation. Side effects: fatigue, headaches. On leave from work since April.

July: Recovering from WBR.

August 2007: New problems: loss of appetite, disabling headaches. Clean brain MRI and spinal tap. Probably late, temporary effects of WBR.

October 2007: really finally recovering from WBR. Hoping to go back to work in the near future. Some minor recurring back pain.

Hoping for the best, believing it can happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:55 pm 

Oh Grace.... I'm just nearly in tears reading this. Know that I AM praying for Carlton. And for you. And for those girls....

Just wish I could do something more.... But I'm here in the internet world, like the rest of the board, reaching out and holding your hand.

Val

My Mom, Carol, was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC with several mets to the bones in November of 2004, when she was 57. Treatment included radiation to relieve the bone pain, Zometa to strengthen her bones, Cisplatin/Gemzar as a first line treatment, and Alimta as a second line treatment. Mom was referred to hospice while waiting for a Perifosine trial to begin, and she died July 19, 2005. Not a day goes by that I don't long for my mama.
]

www.digtoesin.wordpress.com
www.newwaylc.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:05 am 
Director of Support & Advocacy, LUNGevity

I am in tears over this thread,
much so because they could have been my exact words two weeks ago about my mom and her stroke...BUT like his docs, to me this does not sound like a stroke or what had happened to my mom

I'm praying very hard that things will be better this morning when you get there and that it was a reaction to meds or a seizure- something he can rebound from quickly, something they can prevent in future.....

My heart and prayers for Carlton, you and your girls.
Keep us posted as you can.

Hugs,
K

18 yr cancer survivor.
Certified Patient Navigator
www.iamkatiebrown.com

In memory of Jessee Dewey, SCLC
December 29, 1938 - September 6, 2003
Lisa Dewey- Jan. 22, 2007

my parents are together in heaven
ImageImage

facebook http://www.facebook.com/lungevity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:33 am 
Over 100 Posts!

Dear Grace,

I am saying a prayer for Carlton. What a frightening time for you. Try and stay strong for your girls. May you receive reassuring news on your husband today.

Mendy

6/23 CT scan
6/29 PET scan meet thoracic surgeon
7/19 bronchoscopy/biopsy taken (good news-looks like mass may be appearing larger because collapsed lung)
7/25 dx'd cancer not sure of stage
7/31 mediastinoscopy/bronchoscopy
8/3 good news-no lymph node involvement-stage IB
8/21 LU lobectomy surgery
9/5 Pathology report positive lymph node involvement restaged to 3A; will begin chemo & radiation probably beginning of Oct.
9/22 Brain MRI, negative
10/10 start carbo/taxol last infusion 12/11
1/4/07 Pet&cat scan NED
1/11 begin 33 rounds of radiation to area where tumor & lymph node were removed
5/30/07 PET scan NED
9/19/07 Chest xray w/GP looks good
10/1 CAT/PET scan shows lymph node on right side lighting up...will need surgery to remove bulla on right lung and lymph nodes
10/23 Surgery to correct bulla and remove lymph nodes biopsy negative!! We are thrilled!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:09 am 

I know the Fear in this and just wanted to send prayers For Grace And Carlton and Family. I know how scary following the ambulance is. Hope today brings better news and results for Carlton and Strength for Grace and teh Children.

4/23/07 DEb is joined in Peace by her Puppy Dawg Daisy from Cancer
8/30/07 Got new Pup named Mocha!!

"No matter hnow much it hurts, No matter how alone you feel, Your friends will help you get through anything!!"
Scrubs!!!!Yes the comedy show!!!

The Reason I advocate
If you would like to see our family photos Click on this link!
http://deborah-wallin.memory-of.com/

My memory-of Link is good to go now if you want to see it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:19 am 
Over 100 Posts!

Your family has my prayers. Please keep us posted we are here for you. Stay strong.
God Bless
Hugs and prayers
Connie

01/01/06 Happy New Year! Diagnosed with mass in right lung and SVCS which is causing the swelling-taken right down to radiation.
01/02/06 broncscosopy-and 2nd radiation
01/03/06 met all new drs. and released from hospital cannot tell from broncscospy-
01/05/06 MRI, bone scan, and 3rd CT scan
01/06/06 CT needle guided biopsy
01/10/06 Met with oncologist-confirmed it is cancer 80%NSCLC stage IIIB with SVCS continue with 33 radiation treatments and start chemo after results from Scan
01/13/06 PET Scan
01/18/06 1st chemo ( Taxol and Carbo-plactin)and results from PET Scan-No spreading!!!!
01/26/06 HAPPY 64th BIRTHDAY MOM!!
This is a good day!
02/01/06 3rd Chemo and meeting with oncologist. End of radiation is on Feb 15th and this round of chemo will end on Feb. 8th. Then will meet again on March 9th for round 2 of chemo.
02/28 dx with blood clots given lovelox and sent home.
03/09 started 2nd rnd of chemo taxol/carbo combo.
04/20 finished chemo--we are now at the watch and wait stage.
05/10/06 admitted to ER with plueral infussion
06/01/06 passed away--MOM I miss u so very much!!!!! You are my guardian angel-u said so the day before u passed.

Avatar is of my beautiful Mom and my dog Lexi-taken a couple of months before she got sick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:06 am 

Sending many prayers for Carlton, you and your girls. Hopefully, things will be better today.

gail p-m

Recurrance April 2003 -- Stage 4 with mets to bones (Adenocarcinoma with BAC features); Received 3 rounds of Carbo/Taxol --- very little change from chemo

Re-staged to Stage 3b-4 Sept. 2003

Received 35 radiation treatments; shrinkage of most spots; however, something "else" which wasn't there is now there and they're not sure what; another PET and CT in May

Aug. 2004 -- CT and PET -- STABLE; scans at 3 month intervals --- STABLE

May 2005 --- a new spot in the lung found when coughing up a bit of blood; spot showed on PET but not on CT; bronchoscopy confirmed recurrance but also seemed to stop the coughing up blood; oncologist decided to watch and wait

July 2005 -- coughing up blood again; put on Tarceva in late July

Aug. 2005-- many problems with Tarceva and it was discontinued; feeling better now

Spring 2006 -- rapid decline in weight though May 25 scan showed things essentially stable; feeling very weak, tired and unsteady on feet

Aug. 1, '06 - Dad passed away while fighting valiantly to the very end; he was still so strong physically and emotionally; an amazing 82 year old man; I miss him so much

**** Picture is of myself, Dad, and sister celebrating Dad's 80th birthday in Feb. 2004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:07 am 

I will be keeping you, Carlton and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I know how scared you are right now and my heart definitely reaches out to yours!

Wife of Dennis King, diagnosed with extensive SCLC 02-02. Treated with CPT-11 & Cisplatin as first round of treatment; Topetecan second round. Lost his brave battle with cancer 12-15-02. Dennis is lovingly missed by his family and friends each and every day!

"Each time we embrace a memory, we meet once again with those we love ~
for the heart never forgets."

Every now and then soft as breath upon my skin, I feel you come back again....and I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:39 am 

Grace

I dont know what to say except that i hope on hope that your husband bounces back from this and that you and your girls are ok.

My thoughts are with you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:39 am 
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

Sounds exactly like some of the mild seizires my mom had. I remember the stare, we would get in her face and think she was staring at us, but we eventually learned this was a seizure. For my mom, it always started that way and then went into a seizurs at dfferent parts of her body. I guess it is good that he is not doing that.

God, I know how scary it is, but I will pray a ton for him and you guys too.

Mom, age 50, diagnosed with inoperable IIIa adenocarcinoma May 2004. Taking radiation and chemo. Upcoming rescans on July 6th, patiently waiting..
July 6 scans showed tumor reduced by 50%, but from the inside out, so still inoperable.
Continue radiation to the max (7000 rads) and chemo.
August-mom having a very tough time eating because of esophogus pain. Finished radiation end of July, so hopefully she can eat soon-she is hungry!! Sept 04-end of chemo/rad. Scans show that she is in remission. Dec 28 04 mom has been feeling fine until today when she had a seizure for the 1st time in her life. ER CT scan reveals at least 2 lesions on her brain. MRI shows 3 mets, began WBR on Dec 29. Dr says they will gamma knife later if any more mets appear. CT scan shows met on T-12 (spine) and back in lung. Alimta started Jan 18. She is so strong!! Mom had stereotactic radiosurgery on her brain in April and again in August. Radiosurgeon tends to think the surgery was successful, so he treated a new met in August. Mom had 6 Alimta treatments which has held her stable. She has not had any treatment for her spine met, but has a lot of pain in her back. Upcoming scan results on 8-16-05. CT scans and MRIs indicate stable lung disease, except for the brain mets. She is so brave!! 10-27-05 4 of the 5 brain mets were successfully treated with stereotactic radiosugery. 1 met still contankerous (right post frontal lobe) and causing her loss of mobility, her left side is uncontrollable. Upcoming treatment to be hyperbaric oxygen therapy if rad. necrosis or brain brachytherapy if tumor growth. 1-9-06 Mom had brain surgery to remove the necrosis. Dr. also found tumor growth whic he removed and implanted 35 brachytherapy seeds. Mom is in rehab hospital trying to relearn everything. Expected release date is 2-16-06. Mom left the inpatient rehab to go to a step down unit in a nursing home. I hate her being there with everything I am. Mom is coming "home" to live with me June 22. Mom is systemically better off than she has been in a long time, but she only has movement of her right side and confusion. We call her "Rocky". She is amazing... Mom came home to live with me on June 22. We had a few really wonderful weeks until she had knots forming on the side of her head. MRI confirms she has tumors growing all over her brain, under her skin, etc. Dr. referred her to in-home hospice. I love her with all my heart. 9-18-06 Mama left this world to be with our Lord. I will never stop missing her, loving her, and being proud to have been her daughter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:43 am 

Oh Grace,
I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this. I can't imagine. I will pray for Carlton and you and the girls.

[size=75]1996 - dx w/ Breastcancer
Bi lateral Mastechtomy. 17 lymphnodes removed and clear.
Aug 2006 - weakness and poor coordination in left hand and weak left leg.
Dr runs al types of blood tests.
Gets Nerologist appt for Mid OCTOBER!!
Sept 5 - Mom goes to ER to get tests done today. Multiple Brain lesions discovered
Sept 6 - Appt with GP who suspects breast or lung cancer
Sept 7 - Radio Onco wants to Radiate starting Sept 11, Mom begins taking Decadron
Sept 8 - Mom tells primary onco she is waiting until she knows everything before she treats.
September 9 & 10 a great weekend with mom and wife and mom's boyfriend. Mom makes eggplant parm!
Tues Sept 12 - Full body CAT shows Lung tumor with spots on liver and bones
Sept 14 - Pulminary dr walks through all cat scans with us. Shows the brain tumors...this was worse than I thought. Schedules lung Biopsy.
Sept 15 - Bone scan shows definite signs of lung cancer which had spread to the bones,
September 16 & 17 - Mom goes to Beach with my wife Keri and talks about being a parent. I build a railing for her to get up and down steps in the back yard for when she needs it. A fantastically fun weekend. Mom postpones biopsy. She says if she picks radiation, she'll do the biopsy then, because she'll already be in the hospital
Sept 22 Oncologiist is told mom will make a decision that weekend on treatment.
Sept 23-24 Mom decides to radiate but no chemo. Wants to treat the mind but chose to have her body go first. And then we got on with a great weekend and mom and Keri get there nails done and massages.
Sept 25 - mom gets mask for radiation done
Sept 26 - mom does radiation #1. Her word "piece of cake"
Sept 28 - My birthday, mom has a cake waiting for me, we brought her filet mignon. A great night.
Sept 29 - Oncologist says mom makes him laugh.
Oct 1 King crab legs for moms birthday, she's tired but enjoyed!
October 2 - Moms birthday, she is very weak and sleepy. But we spent it with her
Oct 3 - Mom is officially to tired to function. I tell her no more car. Tough conversation. But she agreed.
Oct 4 9:30 - Called mom, woke her up, told her I'd see her at 12:30 for appt.
Oct 4 12:30 - I arrive mom is confused and having trouble breathing.
Oct 4 5:30 - Mom is in Critical Care
Oct 5 7:00 - Sun shines on moms face during a sunrise one last time and she leaves us. Only 56 years old.

Today - we are not 100% and won't be tomorrow either. But notice, mom wasn't about focusing on the disease only, she was primarily about the good times!

2/25/08 Mom's granddaughter, Sophia Randilyn is born. Mom, I've already told her so much about you.[/size]

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/beansprouts2005/Nicksignature.jpg[/img]

2/11/11 Mom's grandson, Nicholas Thomas IV is born. We've already talked about how his Grammy would have just loved her little man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:00 am 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

I'm so sorry, Grace.
I'm praying for you, your girls and your husband.
May today be a much better day for Carlton.

Warm Hugs,
Melinda

Alimta 04/18/2005-06/03/05 discontinued because of progressive disease
June 22, 05 started Tarceva. Response for 4 months. Discontinued 10/14/2005
Monday October 24 to start Avastin/Taxotere
2nd round of avastin/taxotere showing DRASTIC Results
80% shrinkage in large tumor
50% shrinkage in two others
CT Scan scheduled 2/13. More great scan results.
Another round of chemo given on 2/15/06.
Pet scan scheduled 3/06/06. Praying for NED!
3/08/06..........NED!!!!!
7/12/06 New spot on PET scan.
Back to Avastin/Taxotere.
8/06/06 After two treatments of Avastin/Taxotere-seizure
8/09/06 Doctor appointment. Stopped Avastin
Not sure what is next....
8/10/06 Brain MRI
8/16/06 doctor appointment for results and options.
Doctor said Mom is too weak to continue treatments.
8/18/06 Hospice called
8/29/06 Getting weaker, eating less, mental confusion
09/07/06 Mom is now in heaven.
I miss her so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:17 am 
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

Oh Grace I am so sorry to read about Carlton. You have my prayers.

Husband Alan 58 dx small cell LC
1/10/05 chest x-ray shows 7 x 7 cm mass right hilar region
1/12/05 broncscopy confirms small cell L.c w/ superior vena cava syndrome
1/12/5 1st radiation treatment
1/18/05 meet with medical oncologist
1/20/05 1st chemo treatment cisplatin-CPT 11
1/21/05 brain, bone, adomen scans all clear
1/27/05 2nd chemo treatment CPT-11
1/31/05 Alan admitted to hospital,high fever,
infections
2/5/05 released from hospital
2/13/05 Alan admitted to hospital in a sever
altered state, cause unknown, brain scan clear
2/15/05 Alan returns to reality
2/17-18-19 new chemo given in hospital
Cisplatin VPT 16. this would turn out to be
Alan's last chemo treatment
2/20 released from hospital
2/23 re-admitted due to recurrance of altered
state. dx organic psycosis caused by Decadron
2/26/05 platlette transfusion then released
from hospital
3/1/05 follow up appointment with oncologist,
something not right Alan rushed across the
street re-admitted back into the hospital
11:00am Bilateral pneumonia
3/1/05 7:00pm Alan condition declining. 10
liter oxygen, BP very low, heart rate too high
Alan now taken to ICU I am asked what life
saving measures I want hospital to take
3/2/05 Alan made it through the night.
3/5/05 6:00am hospital calls me at home,
Alan crashing again, need to get there
asap.may have to go on vent.
3/5/05 emergancey broncoscopy to remove
fluid from Alan's lungs, keeps him off vent still not out of the woods
3/11/05 confirmed Alan has a blood infection.
now VRE infectous disease specialist called in
3/12/05 2 pints of blood
3/16/05 blood clot found behing alan's left knee
3/17/05 chest tube put in
3/18/05 Alan misses his daughter's wedding
3/19/05 Alan's birthday, finally out of ICU and
transfered to cancer ward
3/22/05 Chest CT 4 new spots in left lung
3/24/05 broncoscopy to biopsy new spots
3/31/05 Alan finally home on oxygen 24/7
4/18/05 Alan's case brought before tumor board
4/22/05 follow up chest CT no changes in new spots
4/27/05 appointment with oncologist Alan still
too weak to try chemo. discontinued at this time. Tumor is shrinking
5/9/05 Alan starts 35 chest radiation treatments
6/3/05 tumor still shrinking blood work getting better
6/28/05 last radiation treatment oxygen only at night now
6/30/05 appt with med onc, Alan having
headaches brain MRI ordered
7/7/05 Brain MRI completed
7/12/05 confirmed Brain mets. 3.0 x 3.5cm
tumor in the right cerebellar hempisphere
w/sever edema crushing brain stem
7/12/05 start WBR Alan unable to take decadron
7/14/05 Alan in emergancy room dehydrated
from vomiting caused by brain swelling
8/1/05 I decide to take FML and spend time with Alan
8/15/05 Alan makes remarkable recovery and
we leave for 3 week vacation
9/1/05 last radiation treatment to brain tumor
9/28/05 follow up brain MRI no sign of tumor!!!!
11/11/05 Chest CT 1 spot has increased from
1.3cm back to 3.0cm watch and wait
1/10/06 made it 1 year, Brain MRI
show no further cancer
3/10/06 CT Scan Lungs Stable
6/20/06 CT Scan Lungs new 3cm mass
6/22/06 PET Scan negative. watch and wait.
7/18/06 Needle biopsy done, waiting results
7/21/06 get the call NED

1/02/07 confirmed cancer in the right supraclavicular lymph node
1/03/07 Start Radiation treatments
2/27/07 Last Radiation treatment!!
6/4/07 NED once again!!!
12/20/07 cancer back in several lymph nodes. Chemo to start 12/26/07
01/18/08 Blood counts low, check into hospital for transfusion. Chemo delayed until counts come back up
02/08/08 Another blood transfusion
02/15/08 Blood counts back up continue chemo
02/29/08 Overnight stay in hospital for another blood transfusion
03/12/08 Thoracentesis 600cc of fluid drained from right lung.
03/22/08 Admitted to hospital for another blood transfusion
04/18/08 Admitted for 5th blood transfusion since Jan.
06/28/08 4:00pm Alan goes home to God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:40 am 
Legacy Member

Grace, I am so sorry to read this. I am saying many prayers for you, and Carlton and your beautiful girls.

Tracy

4/11/06 VATS; multiple nodules in lung lining; adenocarcinoma stage IIIb/IV
4/23/06 got into Tarceva trial; start Tarceva 4/28; stable after six weeks; progression after 12 weeks; off Tarceva on to Carbo/Taxol/Avastin
7/28/06 Brain MRI clear; start Carbo/Taxol/Avastin 6 cycles
9/06-12/07 scans show reduction in all tumors and lymph nodes; Large mass less solid; pleural effusion gone; all else stable; feeling good, starting on just Avastin
12/15 TURNED 40 TODAY!!!!
1/07 - 5/07 stability followed by some progression; nodules now in left lung; moving on to alimta
5/07 - 9/07 Alimta held it stable, then followed by slight progression; taking a chemo break
9/07-1/08 chemo break; end result significant interval progression. Fluid in right lung, innumerable nodules in both lungs, primary has doubled in size; Start Selicicilib trial; turned 41!
1/08-7/08 Results after 7 months on seliciclib trial are stable disease. No growth, no spread, and some reduction of pleural effusion. Continuing on with trial.
8/29/08 progression after 8 months; out of trial, starting Taxotere
1/09 another mixed bag, including a met to spine; begin 10 treaments of radiation; will start a clinical trial when done
2/09-5/09- Clinical trial of IPI-504; stability after first two cyces, mild progression after four cycles; off of trial, time to radiate back for pain relief, then on to chemotherapy TBD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:01 am 

Hi Grace,

I was so upset reading this post this morning.

I am sending prayers to Carlton and your family.

Hang strong, he is in good hands. Please let us know how he is today. I pray he is much better and responsive.

Maryanne

Adenocarcinoma- stage 1B
Lobectomy Left upper lobe on 12/15/04
biopsy on lymph nodes - negative NED
1/13/04 Oncologist appt.to see about preventive Chemo.
Cancelled due to chronic fatigue
1/12 fentynal patch for pain
1/14 discontinued Fentynal patch bad reaction
1/15 Blood test showed high T levels
2/1 Endoconrinologist visit diagnosed over-active thyroid
2/8/05 took Radioactive Iodine to kill thyroid
2/16/05 appetite back, fatigue leaving
2/24/05 visit with Pulmonary Doc. Breathing at 96% capacity,
Next visit 3 mos.
3/9/05 Endocrinologist visit -T levels went from 25 down to 5.
3/30 started Synthoid(thyroid med)
3/31 Oncologist. appt. CT results NED...
4/14 starting adjunctive Chemo (carbo/taxol) 4 treatments
3 weeks apart.
6/15/05 Joel finished chemo, chest X-ray clear, Next CT in August
9/01/05 1st CT since Chemo.. NED
11/17/05 CT - small nodule found 4 or 5 mil. in his good lung
1/10/06 CT - nodule Stable
7/2006 CT/ Nodule stable
10/2006 CT Nodule seem to have grown from 4 to 7 mil.
10/2006 Pet- showed some uptake
10/2006- operation- wedge section right upper lobe turned out to be cancerous 2 nodules next to each other. 2 different types of cancer. 1 squamous cell carcinoma (new primary)2- adenocarcinoma-(not sure if new primary or metastasis)
May be restaged to IIIB
11/07/2006 will start 4 rounds of taxotere. 3 weeks apart. Will take Decadron before, day of and day after. Will get a shot of Leunesta the day after. Here we go again.. Joel's attitude.... great as usual
Horrible reaction to the neulasta shots. One night(New Years eve) went to ER. Spent 3 days in hosptal.
Feb 2007 finished chemo.
March 2007 had his CT .. as expected right now all is clear.
June 2007 NED!!!
Sept 07- CT- small nodule 3.5 mm
Going to do another CT in 6 weeks.
October 07- CT done, results STABLE...YEA
Jan. 2008... STABLE!!!
April 2008 little growth but still called stable
July 17 208 nodule doubled in size to 9mm. Needs Pet Scan, tests, hopefully cyberknife...
July 29 met with his surgeon... said Cyberknife is the way to go.
August 1- Cyberknife visit... Joel is a canidate, its a go...Happy B-day Joel...
Sept 22, 2008 finshed up the last of 3 cyberknife procedures
Nov. had CT scan
Nov. 9th results of CT from Cyberknife..... Tumor completely gone... right now NED!!!
Feb. 09- Pet/CT results. . . NEd!!!
May 09 Pet/CT results. . . NED!!!
Sept. 09 Pet/CT results.....NED!!
Jan. 2010--- NED!! Pet now will be every 6 months.
June 8,2010 Pet scan on our Anniversary... hope thats a good sign..
June 17, NED!!!
Dec. 30,2010... NED!!!
June 20,2011... NED!!!
March 2012....NED!!!

pic of Joel and our daughter Nicole at walk NOV. 07

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/beansprouts2005/nik_and_dad_1LC_walk.jpg[/img]

http://www.babababies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:20 am 

Oh my God, Grace; I'm reading your post at work and the tears are just running down my face. I'm praying that the docs can get to the bottom of what's going on and successfully treat it. Quickly.
You, Carlton, and the girls remain in my prayers. Stay strong.

Trish

8-15-05 - Took myself to the ER. X-Ray shows mass on right lung. Hospitalized 4 days - broncoscopy, pet scan, MRI, CT, port-a-cath. Dx NSCLC Stage IIIB,adeno with squamous characteristics. Quit smoking after 30 yrs.
Radiation x 25.
Chemo - Taxol, Carboplatin x 2; reaction to Taxol 2nd infusion.
Taxotere, Carboplatin x 4 - reaction to Carbo on 6th infusion.
Taxotere weekly.
Mediastinoscopy shows lymph node with cancer, hilar region. Pneumonectomy not possible. Good news is cancer is confined to right side.
Radiation x 10 - right hilar boost.
Taxotere weekly x 3 then every 3 weeks x 2. Last treatment scheduled for Feb. 3.
Pet scan scheduled for Feb. 17.

Mar. 1, 2006 - Hilar lymph node is completely clear! Lung tumor has shrunk more than 50%. Will do 3 rounds (every 3 weeks) of Taxotere to knock the remaining tumor into oblivion. After that, will probably begin Tarceva.

4/25/06 - New PET/CT scans.
4/28/06 - Onc. declares the tumor "virtually dead". Although some residual tumor remains, little to no activity is seen. Began Tarceva 4/29. Not NED but real darn close!

6/27/06 - Onc. visit -- all tumor markers are NORMAL!!!
PET scan July 27 - Stable - Residual disease cannot be excluded. Again, not NED but I'll take it.
Next onc. visit is August 27. Continue on Tarceva. Moving right along...
9/25/06 - Celebrated my 49th (yikes!) birthday. Next PET scan on 10/26.
10/31/06 - PET Scan - Stable! Next onc. visit Jan. '07

Nov. '07 - Tarceva stopped working. Tumor growth detected. Back on chemo -- Gemzar/Navelbine this time.
Feb. '08 - Thoracentesis.
March '08 - Finish chemo. Thoracentesis.
April '08 - Hospitalized 9 days for pleurodesis and broncoscopy. Results show malignant cells in bronchus. Begin 4 weekly brachytherapy treatments. Hospitalized after 1st treatment due to reaction to Dilaudid.
June '08 - 2 more brachytherapy treatments to reach back-end of tumor.
Pet Scan scheduled 7/15/08.
Feeling great, working full-time, hoping for the best for all of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:37 am 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Grace, I am praying for Carlton and your family. I hope all is ok, once Dr.s have a chance to figure this all out. Take care of yourself and keep us informed.

11/29/2006 3 Rounds Chemo completed. PET shows 100%Resolution. No cancer showing. Dr. wants to begin Radiation after Christmas along with her Chemo. Taking Neuprogen shots to build her body up to take the Radiation. Side effects have been minimal thus far..just very tired.
1/02/07 Very Depressed. Beginning 5th round of Chemo. Given Lexipro for Depression.
01/08/2007 Beginning Radiation. 28 treatments.
Sixth and final chemo postponed due to low WBC.
Radiation continues. Side effects so far: fatique, heartburn, sore throat.
01/29/2007 6th and last round of Chemo. Radiation postponed until after Chemo.

01/30/2007 In really good spirits. Feeling much better and relieved almost through with Chemo. Anti-depressant meds. are great.

Feb.05-09 Resumed Radiation
Feb. 12..CT scan done. Still waiting on Results. Praying for good news.

Feb. 12 Scan results. Dr. said he thinks only scar tissue remains. She will have 8 more radiations just to be sure.

Feb. 28 Radiation completed. Goes for PET scan on 4/10/2007. Dr. said if all goes as expected she will be in remission. 10 PCI's to start soon after.
4/10 PET scan denied by Ins. Company. Had CT scan. Will get results on 16th.
4/11 Pet scan given for free. Radiologist said all looks good. Dr. will talk to her about it on the 16th.
4/16 Dr. finds tiny spot near lung, wants to treat it just in case. Starts new chemo soon. PCI's to begin soon. He told her the PET she got for free, probably saved her life.
04/18 Begins chemo. 5-FU,Taxol and Carboplatin combination. Minimal side effects so far. Numbness in fingers and fatigue. No nausea. YEA! Will see radiologist Monday to decide on Radiation. Will have Chemo on Wednesdays concurrent with radiation.
4/25 WBC too low. chemo postponed until next wednesday. radiation done today.
5/02/2007 2nd Chemo given today with concurrent radiation. Side effects still minimal. She is feeling pretty good..just tired.
May 10 Last Chemo and Radiation for 6 weeks until scans. She is happy for the rest and attributes everything to a miracle from God. Side effects are minimal if any and is in really good spirits.

June 12 CT scan done
June 18-22 Rented cabin on the Tickfaw River for the whole family to get together. We fished and laughed and had a great time. She didn't want to know results until vacation was over.
June 26th CT scan is clear. Begining PCI's.
July 16 Halfway through with PCI's and doing pretty good. She is having headaches, but so far bearable.Dr. prescribed steroids.
7/17/07 Headaches have not subsided..Doctor sent her to have a MRI and it was all clear. Thank YOU GOD!! She will have a 2 day break on the PCI treatments.
7/25/2007 Finished PCI treatments. Some headaches, dizziness, and a rash on her forehead have been the only side effects so far.
7/26/2007 Came to Baton Rouge to visit and go to see Sister Dulce(nun that is supposed to have some healing abilities..she doesn't claim to be a healer, but someone that God works through.)
8/01/2007 Chest congestion and SOB. Dr. Thinks it is allergies.
08/02/2007 Beverly doesn't think it is just allergies. Returns to Dr. and insists on CT scan.
8/06/2007 Cancer is back. Growth is on Sternum.
08/08/2007 Starts Topotecan. Here we go again.
08/09/2007 Feels somewhat better already. Breathing is better. Continues to hold on to faith.

8/17/2007 2nd Topotecan. Will skip next week due to blood counts.

08/22/2007 Coughing, heaviness in chest, SOB. Dr. says the tumor never actually went away. Now being treated for RP. 20mg Steroids.
8/23/2007 Feeling better. Scans done next week.
8/27/2007 Brachytherapy done.
09/05/2007 Given Avastin along with Topotecan.
09/12/2007 Placed on Oxygen to help with breathing.
09/19/2007 Given partial chemo treatment due to low counts. Voice seems to be stronger and breathing seems to be easier. I Hope this combination is working for her.
She has made it past the 1 year mark!
The angels took my sister to heaven on Oct. 18, 2007. I will miss her very much.
PRAYERS DO WORK!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:44 am 
Over 100 Posts!

So sorry to read this. Will keep you all in my prayers.

Karen

5/9/06 - Mom's last radiation treatment!
5/26/06 - Follow-up CT shows 'significant improvement'!!!
6/8/06 - EGD shows mom's esophagus does not need to be stretched, just ulcers that need time to heal.
6/28/06 - Oncologist used the word 'remission'.

11/30/2006 - CT scan shows even more shrinkage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:52 am 

OH Grace. Please know you and your girls and Carlton are all in my prayers. Dear Lord, please be with this family as they learn Your plan, as they unfold an understanding of what is happening. Please grant them peace, hope, and continued awareness of Your love. Dear Lord, as always I pray for the miracle, and may You grant this family your comfort.

Amen,
Jen

3/16/06 DX Mass and/or adenopathy within the right hilum..consistent with bronchogenic carcinoma. May also be subcarinal adenopathy. Small right pleural effusion.
3/17/06 MRI head with/out contrast. Biopsi-lung, right middle lobe bronchus. Small Cell Carcinoma of the right lung with SVC syndrome
3/21/06 Bone scan. No evidence for skeletal metastases
3/21/06 Etoposide and Carboplatin chemotherapy (3 days)
4/12/06 Chest XRay - Obvious shrinking of tumor
4/12/06 Etoposide and Carboplatin (3 days)
5/2/06 CScan - again, obvious shrinking of tumor
5/5/06 Meet with Radiologist to determine radiology plan
5/9/06 Day one of Radiation
5/10/06 Chemo (?) (3 days)
6/4/06 In the middle of radiation, going EXTREMELY well, aside from sore eating, and tired, tired, tired. Dad is hopeful, sure that he is coughing up tumor every day, and spirited. Thank you God!
6/18/06 Went into local hospital for infusion. Chest X for possible pneumonia.
6/20/-6 Went to local hospital for infustion. DX with pneumonia in both lungs. O2 levels low, and irregular heart beat. He does not feel heart beating 140 and above. Meds for regulation not working. Made it to Mayo 6/25...back in the hands of the amazing!
6/29 Radiation Graduation! Dad is now home, and regaining strength every day. He is tired, tired, tired, but again, getting stronger every day. Will return to Mayo on 7/30 for all new tests.
7/30 "There is nothing in your noggin but a brain, Keith!" Amazing words to hear! "I would give your chest a clean bill."
8/1 "Keith, you are in remission." We don't consider a cure until you are clear for five years.
8/7 Began 15 rounds PCI brain radiation treatments. This was a difficult decision to make as we were given the side affects, and quite honestly it does sound scary. However, most all SCLC survivors appear to have some form of brain radiation at some time throughout their treatments. Dad figures that mom does the money books, organizes the meds, and keeps the house going already, so what the heck. "I don't want to die from cancer," he says!

August 25, 2006 Mom and Dad return after PCI. Dad feels great, has a tan, bald head, and got out onto the boat on day 1 of his return! Thank you God!

11/29/06 3 month Check Up...Still in remission. Lung scarring from radiation occuring. Dad feels great. Depression and low activity are going away!

2/25/07 Another check up shows no progression...however a slight pleural effusion that has grown since November. Could be one of three things...1. Infection 2. Scar Tissue 3. Cancer. Must go back to Mayo next week to have it drained and checked.

3/1/07 Drained pleural effusion yesterday. However, when they got in there, there wasn't enough fluid to drain and check...this means it probably wasn't cancer, and more than likely was the tail end of some kind of infection. She decides she wants him back in two months instead of three, just to be safe. Heart doc gives dad the clean bill of health. Go home, enjoy life!

5/11/07 Dad had a standard chest CT, which showed nothing new. He feels great and again was given a clean bill! Yeah! Doc will do a "big" check-up in August...complete with chest CT, bone scan, and brain scan...all because at that point he will be one year in remission! Yeah...I pray every day for these years to be granted!
8/21/07 Dad had a full body scan yesterday and results today were very "boring!" We LOVE boring. There was one nodule, in the lung area, that she could see, but it is smaller than small, and leaves no reason to be concerned. Dad will return for a check-up after Christmas. When mom said, "So, do we not need to be worried anymore" she answered with, "Your new normal will be that you are always worried." Yuck...but oh so true. Thank you God for the gift of healing, and may you continue with that wonderful gift. I pray in thanksgiving.

1/21/08 "I am going to call you my miracle man! Keith, I still don't see any evidence of cancer in your body." Wow! Blessed again!

5/19/08 "Keith there is no change. I see no evidence of any cancer." Wow! We are so blessed to be given another clean report. "Every day is a gift," my dad said. Isn't that the truth!

Sept. 08 Still Cancer Free

4/8/09 All evidence of the small cell is still gone. She believes Dad is cured. However, a dot on the CT almost a year ago has turned into an eraser sizes spot. This could just be a product of his recent bronchitis or could be when he breathed during the scan. She DOES NOT think we have anything to worry about. Scans will be in 3 months now, instead of 6 months...I am happy for that!

7/20/09 CT shows growth in spot on opposite lung than original cancer. They do not want to leave it alone. Will have PET and surgical consult next week with the hopes for simple removal.

8/2009 Removed spot. Biopsy showed trace of NSCLC. No SCLC found.

11/2009 All clear
3/2010 All clear
7/2010 All clear
11/2010 All clear. We really are so very blessed to continue to be cancer free. Thank you God.
8/23/11 - Still clear. Thank God!

Picture at left is my husband and I, October 2007. Below is Dad crossing the line during the survivor lap at the Relay. The other pic is just one of my faves!

[img]http://lchelp.org/picfiles/jen2.jpg[/img][img]http://lchelp.org/picfiles/ztweb3.jpg[/img]
[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:53 am 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Grace,
I am so sorry you are going through this right now. I am keeping you all in my prayers.
God Bless,
Sharon

Picture is me and my big brother Tommy who also has lung cancer.(June 2006)
Sadly, Tommy was called home 6/29/2008. May he rest in peace.

12/28/05: Admitted to hospital for L pleural effusion.
12/29/05:1400cc's drained from L lung, biopsy revealed adenocarcinoma. CT, MRI, ultrasound, and bone scan revealed multiple small pleural lesions bilateraly, several small liver lesions, and 1 small lesion on lumbar spine. Largest lesion is approximately 2 cm (on spine), all lung lesions are mm's.
1/23/06:Second opinion at Fox Chase Cancer Center - agrees with initial diagnosis Stage lV NSCLC Adenocarcinoma
1/24/06:Pet scan confirms findings on CT & MRI
1/27/06:CT directed needle biopsy of liver confirms original diagnosis of Adenocarcinoma.
2/6/06:Started Carbo/Taxol/Avastin every 21 days for 6 cycles.
2/9/06:Portacath placement for chemotherapy.
3/3/06:Started IV Vitamin C 3times/week.
3/21/06:CT revealed lung nodules are shrinking.
4/28/06:CT revealed improvement in both the lung and liver.
5/23/06:Last round of Carbo/Taxol/Avastin.
6/7/06:CT revealed 2 small spots that do not appear to be cancer in the lungs, and 2 spots left on liver that are too small to be measured.
6/13/06:Started tx with just Avastin every 21 days.
6/14/06:Reduced lV Vitamin C to 2 times/week.
8/7/06:CT still shows small spots in lung, no change in size - may not be cancer. Liver clean!!!
10/10/06:CT and Bone Scan. No change on CT, Bone Scan clean. Doc says looks like remission!!!!! Yay!!!!
1/29/07:CT shows stable pulmonary nodules with new liver mets noted.
2/19/07: Started trial with Alimta and Cetuximab.
3/27/07:CT shows disease progression in lung and liver.
4/30/07: Started Taxotere every 21 days.
6/4/07: CT shows disease is stable - Yes!
7/16/07: CT shows shrinkage in all tumors - Yes, yes, yes! Will continue with Taxotere for as long as tolerated. Am still receiving IV Vitamin C once a week and am taking numerous supplements.
8/28/2007: CT is stable, possibly slight shrinkage! Will continue Taxotere.
12/10/2007: CT still stable!
2/19/2008: CT shows multiple hypodense lesions within the liver are now larger in size; lung nodules stable. Gemzar started (2 weeks on, 1 week off)
4/28/2008: CT shows slight shrinkage in 3 of 4 liver lesions. YAY!!!
7/2/2008: CT shows all lesions stable! Yesssss!!!!!!! Will continue with Gemzar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:56 am 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

I'm so sorry to read this news. What a frightening nite for you! You have my prayers for your family.

Linda

Caregiver to 75 yr. old mom, dx nsclc IIIb, December 2005.

Treatment:

Taxol/Carbo chemo, 13 rounds
Radiation, 12 of 37 completed

Mom passed July 6, 2006.

Lost my dad (8 weeks after dx) to brain cancer, April 18, 2005.

Experience history with dx issues:

-- The necessity to research the condition and advocate HARD and RELENTLESSLY in the medical community for the welfare of your loved one.
-- Medicare insurance
-- Oxygen support
-- Blood transfusions
-- C-diff, Wasting, Anemia, Dehydration, Electrolyte Imbalance, Confusion complications
-- Skilled Nursing facility care
-- Hospice care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:26 am 
Over 100 Posts!

Grace,
Prayers for Carlton, for you and your family. Ellen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:46 am 
Over 100 Posts!

Grace
We are so sorry that this has happened. We hope that this all works itself out. Praying for the best for you, your children and Carlton,
Heather

Dx -3rd pathology analysis
"large cell neuroendocrine lung carcinoma" LCNEC
Smoker for 24 years
1st cousin passed at age 41 - similar diagnosis - too strange
2 sons - 12 and 16
I am his wife Heather
October 2nd diagnosed after sore shoulder and lump on neck appeared.
Ct Scan results as follows:
-Thrombosis of left internal juglar vein. Partial thrombosis of the superior vena cava.
-Left supraclavicular area a mass measuring 4.8 cm in size with central lobe density...by trachea and mediastynum
- thorax area - there is a 13-14cm mass in the right upper lobe. It extends to the mediastinum and wraps around the main pulmonary artery as well as the right mainstem bronchus. Cannot see the right upper lobe bronchus. The mass extends around the bronchus intermedius.
- Right hilar lymph nodes seen and extensive mass and lymphadenopathy identified
- A few low density lesions in the liver
- Right kidney - mass measuring 3 cm in size plus 2 smaller...also a mass on left kidney with ring enhancements. Lymph node adenopathy at kidney area with lymph nodes measuring 2 cm in size.
- Bilateral nodules noted in the lungs measuring up to a cm and half in size.
- Mild framentation to right second rib where the mass wraps it
- Small right PE is present
10/04/06-1st biopsy results poorly differentiated metastatic papillary carcinoma...sent out for second opinion determined to be carcinoma of pulmonary origin.
Meet with and examined by oncologist - not good
10/12/06 - chemo starts Gemzar and Carboplatin - 3 week cycle...6 cycles ordered
11/14/06 - CT Scan brain - right frontal lobe - 1 cm metastic mass
12/15/06 - Took Neulasta for white cell count and Arensp for red. Also took fragmin to thin the blocked arteries
One chemo missed for low white counts and liver emzymes elevated
One chemo treatment replaced by blood transfusions
12/21/06 Go to Sunnybrook to meet with radiologist - stay on chemo a bit longer - can only treat brain and svc site. Chemo will treat all body - and Gemzar and radiation don't mix so there has to be a break
01/02/06 Go to Sunnybrook to meet with oncologist - second opinion and co-relation with radiation.
Request of full body scan and biopsy re-analysis. Get off chemo now
01/08/07 - full body ct scan scheduled.
01/12/07 - pathology returned from Sunnybrook. This time diagnosed as Large Cell Neuroendocrine Lung Carcinoma.
01/25/07 - took ambulance to hospital - SOB and pain out of control - hospital stabalizing - move up appointment with radiologist - reduced airflow due to tumours/collapse - on oxygen - could be anxiety attacks also
01/29/07 - radiologists says start WBR, right lung and media stinum radiation tomorrow 20gy palliative - advised that no change in tumours from day one thus chemo round one not effective - cancer growing fast
02/01/07 - appointment with oncologist at Sunnybrook - 2 weeks after radiation - start either clinical trial "imclone" if well enough - if not taxotere or tarceva
02/15/07 - not well enough for any IV chemo - going with tarceva
02/18/07 - started tarceva and hoping for a miracle
03/10/07 - chest xray because of infection - the cancer in left lung has now progressed
03/13/07 - hospitalized - confused and off balance - dropping weight fast....can't talk properly. CT Scan - brain met even with the wbr doubled now 2.3 cm...weird though - no pain
03/15/07 - Ger wants to go home - so we take him home - we get DNR and all what is required in place
03/20/07 - no miracles for us - Gerald passed away peacefully at 6:37 pm at home.

I want my old life back - but I can't have it - so I will try to help and support whomever needs that here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 am 

Grace,
Sending many, many prayers for you and Carlton and your girls.

Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:02 pm 

Prayers for Carlton!!

GOD BLESS!!
Jamie

Started Tarceva June 2005(working)
Stable scans (8/2005)
Stable scans (10/2005)
Stable scans (11/2005)
Celebrating 1 year since diagnosis
1/16/06 NED--just scar tissue and/or fibrosis
4/16/06 NED--just scar tissue and/or fibrosis
7/19/06 Stability again--Thank you Lord Jesus!!
11/19/06 NED
1/19/07 NED Again!!!
4/19/07 NED Again!! God is Good!
7/21/07 NED AGAIN!! Pet was clear!!
10/25/07 NED AGAIN!!! God is Good!
01/2008 Cancer free and thanking God!!
06/2008 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
10/2008 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
2/2009 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
6/2009 NED AGAIN! Thank you God!!
12/2009 NED AGAIN!! Thanks be to GOD!!
6/2010 NED AGAIN!!! Thanks be to GOD!!
5 1/2 Year Survivor-Thanks be to God!!
11/2013----9 year survivor of Stage IIIB Adenocarcinoma- Thanks be to God!!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/jamie

[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:09 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Praying for your family - I can't imagine how upset you all must be.

10/19/06 Began Radiation treatment to bone mets - 14 treatments total
10/23/06 Began Tarceva
11/15/06 Chest x-ray shows primary tumor no growth
Continuing Tarceva - CT of Chest, Abdomen and Pelvis scheduled in 1 month. If no shrinkage, new plan will be started
12/12/06 - CT and X-ray show progression. Scrapping Tarceva and moving on to Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin
12/15/06 - First Chemo
1/4/07 - Primary tumor shrunk on X-Ray
1/5/07 - Allergic reaction to Taxol - Changing to different drug and trying chemo again tomorrow.
1/6/07 - Second Cycle of Chemo -Did Abraxane/Carboplatin/Avastin -No Problems
1/25/07 - CT showed primary shrunk from 5.6cm at largest point to 3 cm, less lymph node involvement, and bones stable
2/14/07 - X-Ray showed continued shrinkage and nothing new. Primary is now 1.7cm on x-ray
3/6/07 - X-Ray showed slight shrinkage and slightly less dense.
4/2/07 - CT showed all resolved except primary 2-3 cm.
4/30/07 - X-Ray showed stable - Began Avastin only
5/23/07 - CT shows stable or slightly smaller!
6/15/07 - Still stable - New Asthma due to chemo
6/28/07 - 2 new bone areas light up on PET - Left Ischium and Right Femur.
7/3/07 - Radiation started to treat new bone mets - Scheduled for 10x
7/3/07 - Brain MRI - Please no brain mets - Scheduled to receive results 7/6/07
7/4/07 - Made it to 31!
7/6/07 - 6mm brain met. SRS to be scheduled. New chemo to be started - probably a trial.
8/1/07 - Thin-cut MRI showed 11 brain mets. WBR to start tomorrow. Chemo to start in 5 weeks.
9/6/07 - Brain MRI shows stable- improved (a little early for scan), CT shows progression of primary and lymphs BUT cleared for trial
9/10/07 - First Cycle Docetaxel + Obatoclax Mesylate
10/18/07 - Out of Trial. Minor progression in primary, lymphs, and adrenal. Brain MRI looked o.k.
10/24/07 - Surgical removal of lymph node for molecular profiling trial I'm enrolled in. Should get results back from profiling w/in 2 weeks.
11/8/07 - Profile Back - Starting Camptosar and Erbitux early next week.
11/29/07 - Chest X-Ray "clearly better!"
12/26/07 - CT confirmed primary is smaller. Lymph nodes also much better. MRI showed brain improved in all but 2 spots, which are stable.
2/6/08 - CT appears stable, continue 6 more weeks of treatment
2/14/08 - Breast biopsy shows as NSCLC met
2/19/08 - Starting Arimidex and Sorafenib (if ins. approves)
3/17/08 - Post obstructive pneumonia and elevated pancreatic enzymes - reduced dosage of Sorafenib
3/20/08 - Even higher elevated pancreatic enzymes - stop Sorafenib for 3 days then restart and further reduced dose.
4/10/08 - Around 2 PM Lost the battle to live. Won the battle to be pain free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:57 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Thank you all so much for your prayers and kind words!
He is doing a little bit better today, I'm at home for a few and now back to hospital. Still waiting for the Neurologist ......hate waiting....the girls are taking it hard, they want to see their dad, but I can't let them....

i will keep you all posted...

Grace

4/08-4/23/06 - lp done, excessive blood sugar ct, er for treatment, indication of cause was steroids which were stopped, another MRI of brain, indications of early brain mets. 4-5 weeks of radiation of brain to begin
4/24/06 focal seizure to left side, onto boston, consult w/ onc, told start brain rad.
4/25/06 rad started, put on keppra for seizures, saw dr. wants brain rads 4 weeks, then start on chemo to lung w/ gemstar and irecotan.
5/24/06 finished w/ wbr
5/26/06 met w/ onc. not good, lung and liver tumors have grown about 2-3x's what they were after 1st chemo treatment. also spot on adreanal gland. onc. wants to start up chemo next week, probably ireceotan,(?sp) and gemzar.
6/16/06 transfusion done, dr. wants mri - brain and ct-chest to see whats happening, will be changing chemo based on results..
CT reveals tumor in lung has grown slightly, onc wants is stopping current chemo, because of side effects, radiologist wants to nuke the lung, onc leary because of risk of position of tumor around large blood vessels...he is consulting w/ rad. perhaps cyberknife....onc. had decided to start tropecician(sp?)alone soon.
7/05/06 Cyberkn not an option, bone scan tomorrow, fri. starting taxol and topotecan
8/4/06 major reaction to taxol, to the er, taxol is stopped only now topotecan. looking into clinical trials
9/06 ct and mri indicate cancer has grown 2x lung. and brain tumors are present.
will begin at begin of 10/06 w/ IMRT of the brain and down to 50 mg of etoposide
9/29/06 - 1 year since all this began, onc. called stop etoposide, begin decadron ( Mon ), waiting on temodar, till IMRT begins
10/2/06 IMRT starts and rad of lung/liver...some tumor markers show some decrease
10/16/06 mri shows shrinkage in brain mets, tbd - onc if back on etoposide w/ rad
11/1/06 imrt, rad stopped, going back to oral etoposide, just waiting for increase in platlette cts. to start up
11/27/06 brain mets are back, larger and more of them, stop imrt, onc. wants cc to start up oral etoposide today, will monitor bloodwork closely
12/18-12/22 stopped the etoposide, made it to 21 days - dr. said incredible. blood levels all out of wack, procrit and neupragen shots all around. Ct chest and MRI brain to see what dealing w/ now. CC( hubbys' nick) is off of chemo and starting to get appetite back
1/07 onc can't believe response shrinkage of 90% to lung and 50-60 for brain mets, continue on another round of etoposide, this time 10 days on, 10 days off
1/30/07 - Carlton has major seizure, goes to ER, admitted, unresponsive, told brain mets have grown, slowly comes out, but very shakey and not remembering
2/9 - 2/10- called dr. Carlton not good, has fallen 4x's sleeping most of time, think he needs to be hospitalized, dr. agrees Carlton hospitalized
2/12 - Carlton in ICU, having major seizures on and off for 4 hrs, decide to DNR and only comfort and care, waited 4 days in icu, finally on cancer ward of hosp. in his own room. Carlton is in a coma, non responsive, pneumonia setting in, getting worse, girls visit on 2/19 for last time, say goodbye to daddy
2/21 - Carlton is gone, very quick, I wasn't there, but came shortly after, he is in no more agony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:20 pm 

((Grace)),

I'm stunned. I am so sorry this is happening. Hopefully the Doctors will get this handled in a quick manner and have Carlton back to his old self in no time. You know I always keep you in my prayers. More prayers today for all of you. Hug those girls and I hope they can find some peace during this bump in the road.

Welthy

Beloved Husband - 67 (at diagnosis - made it to 70 1/2) - non-smoker/23 years, night sweats, coughing up blood & very SOB. Oxygen 24/7. Lung capacity 50%, blood/ox levels 88%. TB Test, Broncoscopy, CT, PET Scan
- 3-28-05 Wedge section biopsy Dx'd NSCLC Adenocarcinoma Stage IV. Primary tumor 3 x 5 cm, extensive mets both lungs. Mediastinum, hilar, lymph node & supraclavicular involvement. Histologic grade: Poorly differentiated Emphysema also.
-4-05 PLAN A -Chemo TAXOL/CARBOPLATIN - 8 CYCLES(full strength dose)- 21 day cycle APRIL-AUGUST 2005

- PET & CAT in May & Aug. 2005 show marked reduction.
- Cycle 8 - Second severe carboplatin reaction - no more platinum based drugs
- PLAN B - New chemo - TAXOTERE/GEMZAR - 12 CYCLES (full strength dose)- 21 day cycle. SEPT 2005-MAY 2006
(22 actual chemo sessions in 12 cycles) Both drugs day 1 & Gemzar only day 7. Fatigue, high fevers, fingernail changes, & mouthsores. Procrit & Neulasta started during Cycle 3 (as needed).
-11-7-05 CAT & PET - more improvement. Large mass now 3.6 x 2.7 cm with less uptake. One small tumor in each lung.
-2-2-06 - PET & CAT scans show large mass down to 2.6 x 3.2 cm with lower SUV. R Lung clear. Areas of scarring in both lungs. Tumor in mid-left lung has grown.
-3-7-06 - 15 RADIATION TREATMENTS to nuke the tumor in mid-left lung while continuing chemo. (Chemo 9b skipped)
-5-16-06 - Cycle 12a finished. Trouble breathing, skipped 12b. Allergic reaction to long term use of taxotere. Severe fluid retention everywhere. Oxygen 24/7 continues.
-5-22-06 - CAT & PET Scans. Radiated tumor gone, primary mass unchanged. More scarring, thickening, etc.
***CHEMO HOLIDAY for 3 mos
-6-6-06 - 1-3-07 - PLEURAL EFFUSION ISSUES - 14 Thoracentesis done ranging from 500-1300 cc's on both sides. No cancer cells ever found in any of the taps.
-8-28-06 - PET & CAT scans."Significant progression." Primary tumor larger and seven new tumors found in both lungs. Higher SUV uptake levels then initially.
-9-1-06 - PLAN C - TARCEVA 150 mg daily begins.
-11-16-06 PET/CAT scans. Tarceva didn't do squat. Disease progression. Some lung tumors same size, growth in old tumors, many new tumors in both lungs (about 17). All are over 1+ to 3+ cm. SUV higher on all (high being 12.1). New uptake in R-iliac and L-Scapula. Increased adenopathy in L-hilum with corresponding uptake. First time cancer has left his lungs. Crap.
-11-29-06 - Port installed.
-11-30-06 - 4-2-07- PLAN D - 19 WEEKLY NAVELBINE INFUSIONS Neupogen/Procrit (as needed) Zometa for bones every 4th treatment. Night sweats & some fatigue.
-2-2-07-PET/CAT scans. Overall improvement with decreased number & SUV activity in most of the lung tumors. All but one are smaller. Bone mets are better. Empty head too. Effusion issues cleared up! Praise God for prayers answered.
-3-28-07 - TWO YEAR ANNIVERSARY SINCE DX and now 70 years old!
-4-5-07 PET/CAT scans - Mixed results w/progression. R-lung tumors are still shrinking, bone mets are gone, two large areas in L-lung are stable. Progression in a tumor in the L-lung has increased in size & intensity and a larger area of new growth (3.9 x 2.4 cm) w/SUV 11.9 in subcarinal region. Need new chemo plan.
-4-18-07 - 7-9-07 PLAN E - 5 cycles ALIMTA - 21 day cycle (Zometa still every 4 weeks)
Alimta has proved to be more challenging then we hoped. Crud. Fatigue, increased SOB & cough (some blood). Counts are good. Fevers/sweating episodes. Still on Oxygen 24/7.
-6-15-07 - CAT/PET scan results -- mixed bag, but overall stable. Some tumors have grown, none have shrunk, some are somewhat higher uptake values, several are somewhat lower. Bone mets still gone & no liver involvement. Dealing with 7-8 lung & mediastinum tumors, 3+ cms on most. Doc says continue with Alimta as the cancer is not running totally amok.
7-18-07 - Week from hell. Crisis SOB, cough, on antibiotics, fevers/sweats, very bad. Pleural effusion tapped. Partial collapse of upper R-lung.
7-19-07 - X-ray -R-lung almost reinflated, bottom of L-lung is collapsing from pleural effusion. Wait to tap L-side until R-lung fully inflated. Coughing & SOB still bad. Hospital/Doctor visits are now in a wheelchair.
-7-24-07 - Onc. visit. Obvious symptomatic progression.
-7-30-07 - 8-27-07 PLAN F - 2 CYCLES salvage GEMZAR -21 day cycle days 1 & 8
-8-2-07 - CT scan shows L-pleural space loculation & tumor progression. One tumor is now encasing pulmonary artery. SOB worse.
-8-6-07 - Doc appt. Still very SOB, but tolerates Gemzar well. Onc does not want to do radiation. More harm than good. Pray it works.
-8-9-07 - Breathing issues escalate. Reluctantly went to hospital as both docs are out of town. Infection in L-lung. Re-confirmed tumor progression. Main bronchial tubes still open. Home on 8-12. That was a waste of time.
-8-15-07-Onc. visit. Continue Gemzar. Scans after next cycle. Weight & r-side fluid somewhat stable.
-9-4-07 - Wait on scans for another cycle. Hgb up to 11.1 Yay!
-9-10-07 - No chemo. Gemzar stopped, not working. Weight is plummeting.
-9-11-07 - Echo Doppler test on heart. Results normal. Pulmonary artery difficult to detect on this type of test.
7-18-07 - 10-2-07 - PLEURAL EFFUSION ISSUES AGAIN - 9 Thoracentesis done ranging from 600-1600 cc's on both sides. Loculation in upper half of L-pleural cavity. Lasix to try to reduce fluid & help breathing. Toward the end, fluid was bloody on L-side and contained poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma malignant cells.
-9-12-07 - Dr. appt. Discussed options, had "the talk." Tony chooses to continue treatment. On we go.
-9-17-07 PLAN G - IRINOTECAN (aka CAMPTOSAR, CPT-11) AS OF 10-9-07 - 2 CYCLES COMPLETE. - 21 day cycle.
-10-3-07 - (And now for something completely different...) Hgb down to 8.3. Need transfusion. Heart rate went nuts, 180 & into atrial fibrillation 1 1/4 units into transfusion. ER 5 hours - controlling with meds - home.
-10-9-07 - Chemo
-10-10-07 - 10-12-07 - Gasping for breath, falling down, refuses to go to hospital. Finally called ambulance against his wishes to get him morphine to calm breathing, meds to straighten out A-fib, antibiotics for lung infection & 15 liters of oxygen vs. the 4 at home. Walked down the stairs 2 hours before ambulance was called. Fought til the end...
-10-12-07 - 6:14 pm CDT - My beloved Tony is with God in Heaven.
FINAL TOTE BOARD:
CHEMOTHERAPY 60 infusions in 48 CYCLES, 23 THORACENTESIS, & 15 RADIATION SESSIONS.

Never cancer free since diagnosis, never missed a treatment -- Tony was a cancer Warrior.
"How do I live without you, I want to know --How do I breathe without you...." - LeAnn Rimes
"And I'll try, oh Lord, I'll try, to carry on..."- Styx

Last edited by Welthy on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:24 pm 
Legacy Member

Grace, your family have my prayers.

Don M

http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/vi ... hp?t=37417

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:01 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

(((Grace)))

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am here if you need to talk. My thoughts are with you. I know it is so hard for the kids to have to go through this and you have to be strong for Carlton, your girls and yourself. You can do it! We are all here for you!

Flowergirlie

11/1/06 Doctor gave us the results. Cancer is extensive stage with mets to bilateral adrenal glands and lymph nodes. Not operable and no chance of radiation.
11/2/06 Still trying to swallow the results. Round 3 of chemo treatments done as of today and 3 rounds to go. Would like to have second opinion and looking for options since he does not have insurance.
12/5/06 Weekend after Turkey Day husband spent 4 days in hospital for low blood sodium level. He was shaking involuntarily and severe nausea and vomiting. Since release he has been doing better and more active then has been for a month or so. Getting ready for the holidays before next round of chemo which is scheduled for 12/12 through 12/15. Restaging CT scheduled for 12/11. Can't wait to find out where we are. Hopefully great news!
12/12/06 Tumors shrinking. Pleural effusion present. Doctor postponed chemo for a day for a Brain MRI.
12/13/06 MRI Clean! Chemo started.
Husband vomiting blood all night and morning. Talk to doctor and he says chemo treatment must go on because it is working and we do not have time to stop.
12/14/06 Husband continues to deteriorate and vomit blood. Doctor schedules blood transfusion for Saturday after chemo treatment for this week. One more round of chemo to go after this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:18 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

so sorry you are all going through this, prayers for you and your family

7/2004 Biopsy shows NSCLC (SCC)
8/2004 Successful Lobectomy of middle right lobe and slight wedge resection of upper right lobe (1 lymph node in removed lobe came back positive) (Johns Hopkins) Drs. feel that it is a new primary cancer.
9/04 started clinical trial of taxotere and cisplatin
12/04 New spot found on CT and PET (lymph node) Bronchoscopy not successful stopping clinical trial
1/05 Started 6 weeks of daily radiation and one time a week regimen (for 6 weeks) of carbo/taxol
2/17/05 Finished with rounds of treatment!
3/30/05 Great news, spot on CT has shrunk from 2.5 cm. to less than 1cm. No new spots, STABLE!
7/05 Angiogram, stent put in, doing great!
7/05 The beast is back in the other lung, 9mm spot top of lung, currently waiting to do treatment due to heart medication (Plavix), will do PET in September to confirm cancer and then make treatment decisions.
9/05 PET revealed that spot doubled in size and there is fluid in other lung. Waiting on thorocentesis and hopefully surgery.
10/05 Heart attack from stopping Plavix for lung procedures.
11/05 Fluid gone Cleared for surgery, scheduled for December 5th
12/05 After a successful lobectomy, had another heart attack while in hospital, pacemaker put in, long road to recovery. Pathology report came back with lymph node involvement, restaged to stage III.
2/06 Scans performed NO EVIDENCE OF ACTIVE DISEASE!! Started Tarceva
5/06 NED!!! Will continue on Tarceva
8/06 NED!!! Tarceva still working!
12/06 Its Back :( 2cm spot found in mediastinum area between the lungs, doctors believe it is a node.Off Tarceva and on to Alimta right after Christmas.
3/07 STABLE after 3 rounds of Alimta! Starting another three and then scans in May.
5/07 Its growing again slightly. Area in the medistinum between the lungs. Off of Alimta and dad has asked for a 2 month chemo break. Scans in July.
7/07 Its back and moving fast. Spot between the lungs up from 1 to 5 and 3 new nodules lighting up. They don't think chemo is a great option. Looks like we're on to a clinical trial..researching..
8/07 Clinical trial at Hopkins
9/07 After 2 rounds, Clinical trial stopped due to slight growth
9/07 Started new clinical trial on HIV drug at NCI at NIH
11/07 Scans - STABLE!! They think the clinical trial is working. Continue on trial new scans in January
1/08 Trial not working, showing slow progression of disease. Taking February off to get clean for new trial.
3/08 Can't get into the trial he wants, starting on Gemzar.
6/11/08 My courageous dad lost his battle with cancer. He never gave up. He passed away one hour after getting chemo.

*Avatar Picture - Connor wearing Cappy's hat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:43 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Grace,

You hang and there and stay strong. Know that you have an awful lot of people keeping you, Carlton and your girls in their thoughts and prayers.

In loving memory of my best friend, soul mate and hubby, Bill (aka "bware21").
You are my most favorite person -- forever.

July 17, 1952 - July 16, 2007
(Ext. SCLC)

"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." - James 1:17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:50 pm 

Grace,
What a scary thing to go through. I hope they can get the seizures under control so he is back home soon.

"Never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill

"I rang for ice, but this is ridiculous." -Madeline Talmadge-Astor, as she was being helped off the Titanic

"Losing love is like a window in your heart, everybody sees you're blown apart, everybody sees the wind blow". Paul Simon

Husband John has NSCLC-Vena Cava Syndrome Stage 3B, Dx 6/02
Carbo/Taxol,Radiation
Taxotere
Gemzar
Iressa started 3/03
10/03 Stable CT scan
1/04 CT Still stable.
3/04 PET Scan, Still stable.
7/04 Still stable
1/05 Still stable
1/30/05 Iressa discontinued Started Tarceva, still stable 7/05
1/06 Slight increase in tumor, stopping Tarceva.
1/27/06 Started Alimta
5/5/06 Avastin added to Alimta
6/14/06 Stable, continue w/ Avastin
1/29/07 Shrinkage! Continue w/ Avasin.
7/07- Something new on the CT scan, doing a bronc 7/25/07 to see what it is. 8/21/07 begins brachytherapy. Next treatment postponed until 9/6/7 due to an infection which is making him too ill for the procedure. 9/13/07 Diagnosed with Aspergillus. Has brachytherapy 9/20/07. Developed a pericardial effusion, 10/30/07 has a pericardial window to drain the fluid. Procedure goes well but he passes away 10/31/07 due to a pulmonary hemorrhage.
Pic is me and daughter Jillian aka The Jillinator.

Visit Walk the Walk:
www.michiganlungcancerwalk.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:57 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Oh my that had to so frightening to see your husband like that. I hope everything will be okay and I am sending a prayer for your family. Give your girls big hugs!!!!!!

31 yr. old at dx married with 2 daughters ages 2 and 5
NSCLC Stage 3b Squamous cell

10/03/06 - Went to Primary Care Doctor because could not get rid of cough and had constant pain in left shoulder for 2 months. Told me to go get CT scan could not tell on x-ray what was wrong.
10/04/06 - Had CT Scan Doc told me to go to ER. (Had no insurance) Looks like fluid or partial collapse of lung.
10/06/06 - Went to ER and was checked into the hospital. Given antibiotics and breathing treatments could not find out what was wrong.
10/09/06 - Had Brochoscopy could not complete due to constant cough during procedure.
10/11/06 - Still in hospital had PET showed cancer.
10/12/06 - Went under for biopsy .
10/13/06 - Had to go back under to remove blood clot. Had problems with the tube.
10/16/06 - Finally released from hospital!!! YEAH
10/23/06 - 1st visit with ONC
10/27/06 - 1st chemo Taxol/Carbo 1 once a week for 8 weeks with radiation daily for 30 days. Chemo was not bad for me. Radiation kicked my butt since it was over esophagus. Could not eat for a week.
12/14/06 - Last day of Chemo until New Year and Last day of Radiation.
01/04/06 - Start new Chemo Taxol/Carbo every 3 weeks 4x
02/06/07 - Had CT-Scan
02/15/07 - Results are good. Can not see tumor not sure if lymph nodes are clear will add extra chemo and do PET scan at the end of March.
03/29/07 - Last Chemo YEAH!!!
04/20/07 - Scans are good Lymp nodes are clear, have mass by upper left lung. Will rescan in 3 months and talk to Pulm. and Surgeon
05/29/07 - Had left lung removed - reports show no tumor/cancer in lung!!!!YEAH!!!
08/27/07 - 1cm tumor found in brain
08/28/07 - Start 15 WBR
11/14/07 - Had brain surgery to remove the tumor. Radiation did nothing for the tumor.
12/20/07 - I got Shingles. Kinda a pain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:41 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

I'll be praying for all of you!

Kelly

www.griefshare.org - This helped me so much!!

Eileen Patricia (Foley) Reed
March 10, 1944 - April 5, 2007

Described as "one of the prettiest girls in Hazelwood."
(Hazelwood is the neighborhood in the City of Pittsburgh which she was SO proud to hail from!)

Keeping her memory alive and helping others by becoming a nurse starting September 2, 2008!

Accepted to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Shadyside School of Nursing! Will eventually be an Oncology nurse!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:21 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

My prayers our with you Grace. I hope you are able to break Carlton out of the hospital soon!

4/05 Complete response, had PCI
8/02/05 Pleural effusion drained and fluid benign.
Six-month xray clear.
4/04/06 went for scans. Catscan and blood test.
04/21/06 All is good, spot noted on Adrenal gland by Med Onc nurse, could have been on other scans. I missed this appt.
4/25/06 CT scan of Brain and Chest X-ray
4/28/06 NED. No "spot" noticed by the Rad Onc on the Adrenal. It's a bit swollen but doesn't appear to be malignant.
7/31/06 3.2 CM supraclavicular lymph node and 1 CM spiculated node at original tumor site in lung noted on CT report.
8/15/06 biopsy scheduled for supraclavicular node.
8/18/06 Got the call, small cell has returned.
8/29/06 Will start Cisplatin and Camptosar
10/24/06 Started third round of Cisplatin and Camptosar. CT scan reveals supraclavicular lymph node enlargement is resolved and lung lesion may be dormant or responsive to therapy.
12/19/06 I know it sounds crazy for recurrent small cell, but he's stable or ned for now.
Next scan in a month (January 15th or so)
1/19/07 Still has 15mm lesion in lung. Everything stable. No treatment for now, will rescan in two months.
4/20/07 MRI-My Dad has a met in his skull. It's not in his brain but attached to the interior cranial wall. Lung is still stable
4/23/07 Began targeted radiation to skull met every business day for three weeks.
5/24/07 Will have a chest xray in one month and a brain MRI in 6 weeks.
7/09-7/13/07- 5 sessions of Cyberknife to skull met. Scheduled is a MRI and consult in in 6 weeks.
8/13/07- Dad died at the age of 68 from either renal failure due to treatments or a pulmonary embolism. I so loved him, he was my guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:46 pm 

Grace-
Hang in there! My sis is in the hospital too-3rd time this month! I am sending you and your family lots of prayers. How is his sodium? That can cause seizures also.

I hope the docs get to the bottom of it soon-and formulate a plan of attack. No retreat!

Don't forget to care for yourself as well-
Marco Jo

11/06 Completes 8th round of chemo!Consults for PCI.
11/30/06 Admitted to hospital-Low sodium, slight pericardial effusion, small spots on brain.
12/02/06 Comes home! Begins WBR-15 rounds. Sodium good, watching pericardial effusion.
12/12 MRI of spine confirms soft masses near spine causing flank /back pain. Will begin 10 rounds of radiation.
1/02/07 admitted to the hospital for shortness of breath. In for a few days, then sent home w/oxygen as needed. Begins topotecan once a week for five weeks.
1/17 Went to see doctor after several days of extreme fatigue that did not feel right. Admitted to the hospital for low sodium again. Put on antibiotic for sodium. Out in two days! Continuing chemo...
1/29/07 Admitted to hospital again- coughing, pain, shortness of breath. Treated for pneumonia, fluid drained from lung...working on a plan.
2/07 Begins 2nd ine chemo-topotecan-once a week for three weeks.
2/02 admitted to hospital w/shortness of breath. Stops chemo-begins radiation on lung-seems to be doing well, then has pain begin in her back, then legs. Becomes confused and we realize it is her liver as well...
3/1/07 Jeannine leaves us for her next journey...

Post subject: EastCoastLadi
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:17 am 

Grace,
Praying for your husband and for you and your girls.

Carol

Staged IIA by PET Scan.
Restaged to IIIA by surgeon prior to surgery, after he examined PET and CT Scan results.
4/7/05 Completed 6 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy (taxol/carboplatin).
4/29/05 CT Scan.
5/21/05 PET Scan.
5/31/05 Met with surgeon, PET Scan showed nodule in left lung lit up that never lit up before.
6/9/05 Biopsy=OK nodule is scar tissue.
7/1/05 BRONCHOSCOPY,
MEDIASTINOSCOPY, THORACOTOMY SURGERY=ALL MARGINS CLEAN, 20 LYMPH NODES REMOVED. PLUS ONE RIB BONE. ALL NEGATIVE FOR CANCER.
8/9/05 & 9/1/05 ADJUVANT CHEMO. 10/4/05 1ST CT SCAN="Defined patchy density at the superior segment of the right lower lobe. Findings are most likely related to recent surgery and/or posttreatment change, however, this should be followed on subsequent studies".
1/3/06 Brain CT=Clear;Chest CT=Scar Tissue.
1/4/06 ONE YEAR SINCE DIAGNOSIS
4/1/06 Brain & Chest CT=NED. 6/13/06 XRAY=NERD.
7/1/06 ONE YEAR SINCE SURGERY.
10/25/06 CT=NED.
1/4/07 TWO YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
5/3/07 CT=NED.
7/1/07 TWO YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
11/6/07 CT=NED
PLEASE continue to keep me in your prayers.WHEN PRAISES GO UP, BLESSINGS COME DOWN.[/size]
1/4/08 THREE YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/20/08 CT=NED
6/20/08 X-RAY=NED
7/1/08 THREE YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
10/27/08 CT=NED
1/4/09 FOUR YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/26/09 X-RAY=NED
7/1/09 FOUR YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
9/17/09 CHEST X-RAY CEA BLOOD TEST=NED
1/4/10 FIVE YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/29/10 X-RAY=NED
10/5/10 CT=NED
4/1/11 X-RAY=NED
7/1/11 SIX YEARS SINCE SURGERY
10/10/11 X-RAY=NED
4/15/12 CT/PET=NED
4/18/13 CT=NEW 3MM NODULE FOUND ON UPPER LEFT LOBE
10/17/13 CT=NED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:58 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Grace,

Fervent prayers for you, Carlton, and the girls. I feel so helpless, I wish there were more I could do for you. Please update when you can. :cry:

Denise: age 63
September 29, 1941-February 8, 2006

11/03/04 dx'd Stage IIIB NSCLC, malignant pleural effusion
ALSO...
-a polio survivor since age 12
-a breast cancer survivor since 1999 (Stage IIA, ER/PR+ radiation + Tamoxifen)
-an End Stage Renal Disease survivor since 2/04 (started hemodialysis, still has about 17% kidney function)
-Mom moved in with us in 11/03

-11/04--chemical pleurodesis

-12/03/04--onto Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion, started IRESSA

-1/05--discontinued IRESSA from FDA warnings, started Tarceva

-2/05--x-ray shows "stable, no new growth"

-4/11/05--Tarceva not working...it's onto the big guns. Admitted for 3 days to begin Taxol/Carboplatin combo...

-Original tumor disappeared over summer, nodules stable. Mom feels good, rarely needs pain meds. We had a great summer!

-12/12/05--Nodules decided to make their appearance known just in time for Christmas. Will begin Erbitux next chemo.

-12/14/05--Mom took a spill on her way in the door from chemo and broke her arm and her knee. She was hospitalized and went into rehab at a nursing home afterwards temporarily to recover. While there, she had to be taken via ambulance to hospital for SOB. Significant growth is shown just in five weeks. Will begin Taxotere next chemo.

-2/8/06--I can't believe I'm writing this...my mom is gone. I will never, ever be the same without her to guide me. I am lost, broken, empty. I look for her everywhere. My dear, sweet, beautiful Mom, I love you, miss you, need you so much.

3/6/06--I give birth to our miracle baby, Ian...my mom named him. Our precious baby, so sweet and new, you have an angel watching over you. She just missed holding him in her arms but she will forever be in his heart.

I also have twins, Mikkel and Saoirse, after suffering four years of infertility. My mom was so proud of her twins! (her name on this site was twingrammie)

Howie: age 65

12/98- dx/d with stage IIIB NSCLC, mets to lymph nodes. Taxol/Carbo, scans show growth, he is losing weight, feeling terrible.

5/99- mets to right lung, on life support for three weeks, but pulls through and comes home.

8/99-mets to brain. confused, doesn't know any of us. 10 pallative rads scheduled. After 5, I asked my mom to have them stopped, they are obviously doing nothing but burning his skin. Onto hospice.

9/2/99--died in hospice. My mom finally found her soul mate, but had only 8 years to share with him. I take comfort in knowing they are together again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:17 pm 

More thoughts, concern, support, and prayers today for you Grace.

Welthy

Beloved Husband - 67 (at diagnosis - made it to 70 1/2) - non-smoker/23 years, night sweats, coughing up blood & very SOB. Oxygen 24/7. Lung capacity 50%, blood/ox levels 88%. TB Test, Broncoscopy, CT, PET Scan
- 3-28-05 Wedge section biopsy Dx'd NSCLC Adenocarcinoma Stage IV. Primary tumor 3 x 5 cm, extensive mets both lungs. Mediastinum, hilar, lymph node & supraclavicular involvement. Histologic grade: Poorly differentiated Emphysema also.
-4-05 PLAN A -Chemo TAXOL/CARBOPLATIN - 8 CYCLES(full strength dose)- 21 day cycle APRIL-AUGUST 2005

- PLAN B - New chemo - TAXOTERE/GEMZAR - 12 CYCLES (full strength dose)- 21 day cycle. SEPT 2005-MAY 2006
(22 actual chemo sessions in 12 cycles) Both drugs day 1 & Gemzar only day 7. Fatigue, high fevers, fingernail changes, & mouthsores. Procrit & Neulasta started during Cycle 3 (as needed).
-11-7-05 CAT & PET - more improvement. Large mass now 3.6 x 2.7 cm with less uptake. One small tumor in each lung.
-2-2-06 - PET & CAT scans show large mass down to 2.6 x 3.2 cm with lower SUV. R Lung clear. Areas of scarring in both lungs. Tumor in mid-left lung has grown.
-3-7-06 - 15 RADIATION TREATMENTS to nuke the tumor in mid-left lung while continuing chemo. (Chemo 9b skipped)
-5-16-06 - Cycle 12a finished. Trouble breathing, skipped 12b. Allergic reaction to long term use of taxotere. Severe fluid retention everywhere. Oxygen 24/7 continues.
-5-22-06 - CAT & PET Scans. Radiated tumor gone, primary mass unchanged. More scarring, thickening, etc.
-6-6-06 - 1-3-07 - PLEURAL EFFUSION ISSUES - 14 Thoracentesis done ranging from 500-1300 cc's on both sides. No cancer cells ever found in any of the taps.
-8-28-06 - PET & CAT scans."Significant progression." Primary tumor larger and seven new tumors found in both lungs. Higher SUV uptake levels then initially.
-11-16-06 PET/CAT scans. Tarceva didn't do squat. Disease progression. Some lung tumors same size, growth in old tumors, many new tumors in both lungs (about 17). All are over 1+ to 3+ cm. SUV higher on all (high being 12.1). New uptake in R-iliac and L-Scapula. Increased adenopathy in L-hilum with corresponding uptake. First time cancer has left his lungs. Crap.
-11-30-06 - 4-2-07- PLAN D - 19 WEEKLY NAVELBINE INFUSIONS Neupogen/Procrit (as needed) Zometa for bones every 4th treatment. Night sweats & some fatigue.
-2-2-07-PET/CAT scans. Overall improvement with decreased number & SUV activity in most of the lung tumors. All but one are smaller. Bone mets are better. Empty head too. Effusion issues cleared up! Praise God for prayers answered.
-4-5-07 PET/CAT scans - Mixed results w/progression. R-lung tumors are still shrinking, bone mets are gone, two large areas in L-lung are stable. Progression in a tumor in the L-lung has increased in size & intensity and a larger area of new growth (3.9 x 2.4 cm) w/SUV 11.9 in subcarinal region. Need new chemo plan.
-4-18-07 - 7-9-07 PLAN E - 5 cycles ALIMTA - 21 day cycle (Zometa still every 4 weeks)
Alimta has proved to be more challenging then we hoped. Crud. Fatigue, increased SOB & cough (some blood). Counts are good. Fevers/sweating episodes. Still on Oxygen 24/7.
-6-15-07 - CAT/PET scan results -- mixed bag, but overall stable. Some tumors have grown, none have shrunk, some are somewhat higher uptake values, several are somewhat lower. Bone mets still gone & no liver involvement. Dealing with 7-8 lung & mediastinum tumors, 3+ cms on most. Doc says continue with Alimta as the cancer is not running totally amok.
7-18-07 - Week from hell. Crisis SOB, cough, on antibiotics, fevers/sweats, very bad. Pleural effusion tapped. Partial collapse of upper R-lung.
7-19-07 - X-ray -R-lung almost reinflated, bottom of L-lung is collapsing from pleural effusion. Wait to tap L-side until R-lung fully inflated. Coughing & SOB still bad. Hospital/Doctor visits are now in a wheelchair.
-8-2-07 - CT scan shows L-pleural space loculation & tumor progression. One tumor is now encasing pulmonary artery. SOB worse.
-8-6-07 - Doc appt. Still very SOB, but tolerates Gemzar well. Onc does not want to do radiation. More harm than good. Pray it works.
-8-9-07 - Breathing issues escalate. Reluctantly went to hospital as both docs are out of town. Infection in L-lung. Re-confirmed tumor progression. Main bronchial tubes still open. Home on 8-12. That was a waste of time.
-8-15-07-Onc. visit. Continue Gemzar. Scans after next cycle. Weight & r-side fluid somewhat stable.
-9-11-07 - Echo Doppler test on heart. Results normal. Pulmonary artery difficult to detect on this type of test.
7-18-07 - 10-2-07 - PLEURAL EFFUSION ISSUES AGAIN - 9 Thoracentesis done ranging from 600-1600 cc's on both sides. Loculation in upper half of L-pleural cavity. Lasix to try to reduce fluid & help breathing. Toward the end, fluid was bloody on L-side and contained poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma malignant cells.
-9-12-07 - Dr. appt. Discussed options, had "the talk." Tony chooses to continue treatment. On we go.
-9-17-07 PLAN G - IRINOTECAN (aka CAMPTOSAR, CPT-11) AS OF 10-9-07 - 2 CYCLES COMPLETE. - 21 day cycle.
-10-3-07 - (And now for something completely different...) Hgb down to 8.3. Need transfusion. Heart rate went nuts, 180 & into atrial fibrillation 1 1/4 units into transfusion. ER 5 hours - controlling with meds - home.
-10-9-07 - Chemo
-10-10-07 - 10-12-07 - Gasping for breath, falling down, refuses to go to hospital. Finally called ambulance against his wishes to get him morphine to calm breathing, meds to straighten out A-fib, antibiotics for lung infection & 15 liters of oxygen vs. the 4 at home. Walked down the stairs 2 hours before ambulance was called. Fought til the end...
FINAL TOTE BOARD:
CHEMOTHERAPY 60 infusions in 48 CYCLES, 23 THORACENTESIS, & 15 RADIATION SESSIONS.

Never cancer free since diagnosis, never missed a treatment -- Tony was a cancer Warrior.
"How do I live without you, I want to know --How do I breathe without you...." - LeAnn Rimes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:28 pm 
Legacy Member

Prayers Grace.

http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 2155#72155

QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR / HELPFUL LINKS:
http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 585#163585

You must, on your own, make the commitment that you will do everything in your power to fight your disease. -Advanced stage lung cancer survivor RA Block-

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
-Buddhist Quote On Gratitude-

It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.
-Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross-

We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me?" unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way. -Author Unknown-

Top Ten Reasons Why I’m A Lung Cancer Survivor

10. Not going into funeral mode the day I was diagnosed. I never once thought this was it, that life was over or why bother. Lung Cancer is not a death sentence and one can be cured of it or still have a life living with it for many years.
9. Not dwelling on it. How I got it, why me, what if I did this/that or the blame game etc. It’s counter productive and wasted energy.
8. RESEARCH, RESEARCH and more RESEARCH. Knowledge is the key! The more one knows the better one can make decision with their doctor and better fight. Keeping it simple, does not really matter to me every little word on a report. Try to get down to the chase of what is going on and what needs to be done.
7. Living life to the fullest by making the best of it every day and by keeping busy. Life is short enough so why let a day go by.
6. I appreciate everything my family/friends do for me. I let them (especially Kathy and Tina) know how much it means to me and how much I love them.
5. Not making my disease about me. It affects my family/friends just as much if not more. My life has changed and I have to learn to adjust to the new normal. If I can’t do things or go places does not mean they can’t. It’s very important they have a life and go about it.
4. Keeping an open mind about treatments. Don’t know unless you try. Laughter, it’s the best medicine, does not have to be all doom and gloom. Exercise, it’s good for overall health and a great stress reliever. Healthy (common sense) diet, this one I need to improve on. I can eat in a coma.
3. Staying positive and having a good attitude. YES it does make a difference regardless of what adversity one faces. Have my days like anyone else but they are few and far in between.
2. All my doctors/nurses. I’m very blessed/fortunate to have a great medical team and great health coverage.
1. My wife.my daughter and my closest friend I love them the most and they mean the most to me. I owe it to them, there the ones who have stood by my no matter what and showed me the true meaning of family, life and love is all about. You can lead a horse to water but can’t get it to drink. Bottom line it’s up to me to be pro-active, to keep trying and to never never never give up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:59 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Once again, thank you for all the prayers and thoughts!
Today Carlton is speaking, but it is very fragmented and disoriented...he was having as I put it "potty mouth" this morning.....but every once and a while he would say "I love you very much" - he would always say that to me....but in the next moment I would ask him if he knew who I was ....he would just stare...or shake his head "no".

I'm off to see him in a while w/ the girls...the hospital social worker called me...i'm sure many of you can relate...if he comes home...what kind of set up...we can get help in......all that.....also a team w/ the visiting nurses and hospice called a "bridge" - hospice nurses doing regular care...

....please pray...

Grace

5/24/06 finished w/ wbr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:34 pm 

Grace--I haven't stopped praying, and I won't.... I'm so sorry you guys are in this situation. So many, many (((((hugs))))) for you.

My Mom, Carol, was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC with several mets to the bones in November of 2004, when she was 57. Treatment included radiation to relieve the bone pain, Zometa to strengthen her bones, Cisplatin/Gemzar as a first line treatment, and Alimta as a second line treatment. Mom was referred to hospice while waiting for a Perifosine trial to begin, and she died July 19, 2005. Not a day goes by that I don't long for my mama.
]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:04 pm 

Grace,
You and Carlton and your daughters are certainly in my prayers tonight. I know it is so hard to see your husband like this.... I pray he "comes back to you" Love, Sharon

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR CUSTOM SUPPORT/MEMORY BRACELET. A PORTION OF EACH SALE GOES DIRECTLY TO LUNGEVITY
www.ilovinglyremember.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:21 pm 
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

I am still praying for you both. Many many hugs too.

Mom, age 50, diagnosed with inoperable IIIa adenocarcinoma May 2004. Taking radiation and chemo. Upcoming rescans on July 6th, patiently waiting..
July 6 scans showed tumor reduced by 50%, but from the inside out, so still inoperable.
Continue radiation to the max (7000 rads) and chemo.
August-mom having a very tough time eating because of esophogus pain. Finished radiation end of July, so hopefully she can eat soon-she is hungry!! Sept 04-end of chemo/rad. Scans show that she is in remission. Dec 28 04 mom has been feeling fine until today when she had a seizure for the 1st time in her life. ER CT scan reveals at least 2 lesions on her brain. MRI shows 3 mets, began WBR on Dec 29. Dr says they will gamma knife later if any more mets appear. CT scan shows met on T-12 (spine) and back in lung. Alimta started Jan 18. She is so strong!! Mom had stereotactic radiosurgery on her brain in April and again in August. Radiosurgeon tends to think the surgery was successful, so he treated a new met in August. Mom had 6 Alimta treatments which has held her stable. She has not had any treatment for her spine met, but has a lot of pain in her back. Upcoming scan results on 8-16-05. CT scans and MRIs indicate stable lung disease, except for the brain mets. She is so brave!! 10-27-05 4 of the 5 brain mets were successfully treated with stereotactic radiosugery. 1 met still contankerous (right post frontal lobe) and causing her loss of mobility, her left side is uncontrollable. Upcoming treatment to be hyperbaric oxygen therapy if rad. necrosis or brain brachytherapy if tumor growth. 1-9-06 Mom had brain surgery to remove the necrosis. Dr. also found tumor growth whic he removed and implanted 35 brachytherapy seeds. Mom is in rehab hospital trying to relearn everything. Expected release date is 2-16-06. Mom left the inpatient rehab to go to a step down unit in a nursing home. I hate her being there with everything I am. Mom is coming "home" to live with me June 22. Mom is systemically better off than she has been in a long time, but she only has movement of her right side and confusion. We call her "Rocky". She is amazing... Mom came home to live with me on June 22. We had a few really wonderful weeks until she had knots forming on the side of her head. MRI confirms she has tumors growing all over her brain, under her skin, etc. Dr. referred her to in-home hospice. I love her with all my heart. 9-18-06 Mama left this world to be with our Lord. I will never stop missing her, loving her, and being proud to have been her daughter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:31 pm 

Grace,
I just want you to know that you and your family are all in my prayers.

Love,
Sue

**1-28-04 dx w/recurrent stage IV nsclc tumor on stump of where right lung had been removed , lymph node involvement, tumor adrenal gland -lft side, **02-04-04- taxol & carboplatin 3 treatments-didn't work
**02-12-04- radiation 10 to lung for bleeding
**04-2--04-taxotere had 4 treatments. shrinkage had occured in all after 3.. continuing taxotere. making him very tired ... upper body swelling ..
** 08-01-04-in hospital
latest..
**08-02-04 had stent put in .. superior vena cava.. the vein was being blocked by pressure tumor.
**08-05-04-started 10 radiation treatments,
**08-30-04- started Navelbine on 3 weeks and off 1 Scan after 5 treatments show chemo Navelbine not working -slight decrease to lung mass, but slight increase to adrenal ....
**11-01-04-starting Gemzar ... had 3 treatments... too many side effects... Ct of chest and upper abdomen done on Dec. 2nd -results some shrinkage
**12-06-04-started Alimta Dec. 6th- first treatment went well Had 2nd treatment Dec. 27th ... developed a rash and is tired, but otherwise ok Scan Feb 7th, 2005 STABLE doing good continuing Alimta April 18th scans showed stable disease (after 6 Alimta treatments), but he now has pneumonitis... no more treatments until much better.. on prednisone and oxygen..
**05-31-05 Ct scan of chest showed pneumonitis resolved and stable cancer
**06-06-05-our 35th wedding anniversary... onc confirms everything resolving and stable -reccommends break continued til August
**6-15-05 to 6-18-05 in hospital due to mental confusion ..
had MRI-member empty head club

8-3-2005-Ct scans chest , abdomen and pelvic....Waiting and praying...
**8-8-2005-Ct results were that the chest area looked improved, but the adrenal area had increased and involved some lymph nodes.
Started Tarceva 150mg 8-16-2005-8-20-2005 stopped 2 weeks due to severe rash on 9-8-2005 started back on Tarceva at 100 mg now.. stopped again on 9-19-2005
9-30-2005 scans slight progression to nodes behind adrenal..
10-10-2005-Camptosar- CPT-11 started
10-31-2005- CPT-11
refused more CPT-11 made him extremely fatigued and nauseated
Dec. 6th -CTscans chest, abdomen & pelvic. shows stable but tumor compressing the esophagus..
Dec. 19th- had stent to trachea put in
Dec. 21st- he had stent to esophagus and feeding tube put in
Dec. 22nd.. he will ill put in hospital... vomiting and also coughing and congestion in for 4 days... home for Christmas Dec. 25th... still recouperating with antibiotics etc.
Continuing cough and numerous doctor visits.
*Jan 30th-Feb 4th- hospitalized again with cough ..
Still has cough , but controlled most of the time Hasn't been able to resume chemo

**My "prince charming", best friend, husband and soul mate,, Mike passed away March 2, 2006 after being a 5 year survivor and fighting a very courageous battle**
July 20th... Mom NED.PET clear and normal .. will go back on half 75mg Tarceva... see how that works..
Stop Tarceva 8-25 too many side effects
Oct. 22nd- Mom surgeon visit, chest xray and results .. all clear, no sign of cancer...
Feb. 18th Mom's PET Scan
March 7th Mom's PET Scan results.. NED
Sept. 22, 08 Mom PET Scan
Sept. 29, 08 Mom PET results new nodule 3/4 "...here we go again.... :-(
*Updated*- Mom surgery- Oct. 30th.. surgeon removed top part of upper right lobe. Nothing showed malignant. She had pneumonia after surgery and a 3 week hospital stay, but she is slowly regaining her strength and is currently NED..

March 3, 2009 CT scan.... results showed some little things along suture line that the doctor believed was healing.. will wait til next scan and compare.

June 2, 2009- CT Scan.. results there is an area along suture line that has increased in size and thickening.. doctor thinks could be cancer... a needle biopsy will be done..

A quick update.. the results of the needle biopsy did confirm that it was cancer...

Cyberknife was done the first week in November..

Pet scan .. Dec. 8th...
Dec. 11th -results .. cyberknife worked and the rest of the scan is clean... YAY!!! Happy Birthday (Dec. 19th.. 81st) and Merry Xmas Mom!
Dec. 2010 NED!!!
June 2, 2011.. Pet Scan results .. NED!!!
Nov 3, 2011.. CT scan results.. NED!!!
Sept. 18, 2012 .. our loving mom has passed on ..Heaven received a most precious angel.

graphic by
http://www.maryslittlelamb.com[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:18 pm 

Still praying!!!

Tina

"Charlie didn't let life happen to him, he let life happen through him." Rev. Joe Green, 4/19/06

Husband Charlie, lived 27 months with stage IV NSCLC, adenocarcinoma,
51 yo at diagnosis; 53 at death
daughters now 19 & 13, niece 16
DX 01/09/04, Died 04/16/06 (Easter Sunday)
Treatments: (1) Carbo/Gemzar & radiation, (2) Navelbine and rad to neck lymph node, (3) Vanderbilt clinical trial of Targretin, (4)Alimta, (5) Tarceva, (6)Taxotere & rad to lymph node next to aorta, (7) Gemzar, (8)Etoposide, Carbo and Avastin with brachytherapy for bronchial tumors, and (9) CPT-11.

03/17/06 Charlie able to go with Rachel to get her "dream car"
04/16/06 Easter Sunday - taken to Heaven after having been able to go to our church drama on Saturday, helping me make Easter deviled eggs Sunday morning, enjoying a good family dinner and long talk with his dad in Florida

Feb. 28, 2008: My Mom likely has NSCLC
Mid-March: PET shows high SUVs; she is not healthy enough for biopsy or treatment; she falls and gets a bad leg wound and infection; aggressive daily painful treatments to save her leg.
June 10: CT shows stable disease; leg wound finally healing.
Sept: CT shows progression.
Late Dec. 2008: admitted to hospital for shortness of breath. Radiation started due to tumor pressing on her spine. Goes home on New Year's Day. Admitted to Hospice a few days later as palliative rad. continues for 3 weeks.
Late Jan. 2009: falls and breaks hip; repaired the next day and goes to rehab. facil. 4 days later...AMAZING!
Ups and downs at rehab. facil.
Transferred to Hospice House - wonderful people!
April 6, 2009 - my mom passes on with my brother and I by her side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:29 am 

Grace
Prayers still going.
Jackie

wanted, very peacefully during his sleep.
I miss you so much Mike.
Jackie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:58 am 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Lots of prayers going out to you all. I can't eveen see my computer ...lots of tears.
Joan

05/05 - 6 rounds of chemo and avastin
primary tumor is shrinking
11/05 - finished chemo and continuing with avastin 1x month
mri - stable
11/05 some pain in legs - will speak to dr. on friday
11/05 pain is much better. Dr. set up MRIs and CT for end of Dec. and early Jan.
12/05 Dr. is concerned and pushed MRIs up.
So happy and lucky...everything is status quo. now just to get through CT scan in January.
1/06 - CT stable
3/06 - CT stable (yea!)
4/06 - MRI shoulder - been having pain - no evidence of disease - arthritic changes
4/25/06 - first Grandchild born
4/28/06 - hospitalized for dehydration - did MRI brain - empty
5/06 - CT scan - Stable (one year)
6/06 - MRI - spine
7/06 - results not good. growth of tumor on sacrum and slight growth on spine. 10 days of radiation and then probably chemo or clinical trial
7/07 - 7/09/06 - hospitalized - severe vomiting from ??? radiation or food poisoning or pain med reaction
8/06 - STABLE
9/06 - hospitalized again for start of dehydration
9/06 - Brain CT - empty
9/06 - Docs have concluded that my symptoms
are being caused by "stress". Wedding
perhaps
10/31 CT, chest, abdomen and hips - STABLE
12/2006 - WBR - 10 days worth - cancer cells surrounding brain. (we'll get em!)
1/2007 - WBR - all done - still feeling well.
2/2007 - finished new 5 pill a month Temodar chemo treatment. Feeling great, considering...just a little tired.
picture of my husband, my daughter Dana and me. Oct 22nd 2006.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:01 pm 

(((Grace))),

All of you are in our thoughts and prayers. Hopefully Carlton will be home, and when in his own surroundings will show much improvement. Line up as much help as you can and take time to renew yourself. So sorry for this turn of events.

Kasey

10/08/04 CT guided needle biopsy
10/14/04 Dx Pancoast tumor - NSCLC 111a(?) - inoperable - incurable
11/02/04 2nd opinion - Sloan-Kettering - concurs with local dx and tx
11/03/04-12/02/04 Radiation x22 chemo x5 taxol/carboplatin
11/04 - 3rd opinion - FoxChase -turned away
11/04 FOUND LCSC & HOPE
11/04 4th opinion NIH - surgery possible
1/04/05 Successful surgery - RU lobectomy - all margins, nodes, and path reports are NEGATIVE
2/05 chemo x2 taxol/carboplatin
3/05 Esophagus stretched twice
4/06/05 bloodwork, chest x-ray, CT scan, PET scan, NED
5/05 2 more esophagus stretches
7/13/05 bloodwork, chest x-ray, CT scan, PET scan, brain MRI, NED
10/05/05 bloodwork, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, NED
1/11/06 bloodwork, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, brain MRI, NED
4/05/06 bloodwork, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, NED
6/10/06 emergency appendectomy
7/12/06 bloodwork, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, brain MRI, NED
9/26/06 bloodwork, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, NED
1/10/07 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, CT, PET/CT scan, arm CT, brain MRI, NED
7/11/07 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, brain MRI, NED
1/9/08 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, brain MRI, CT w/contrast.....mm 'spot' lower right lobe - watch and wait 3 months
4/8/08 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, NED
10/14/08 bloodwork, urinaysis, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, brain MRI, NED
4/15/09 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, brain MRI, NED
10/13/09 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, brain MRI, CT/contrast, NED
4/13-4/15/10 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, PET/CT scan, brain MRI, CT/contrast, PFT, echocardiogram, EKG, stress test, NED
4/11-4/13/2011 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, PET scan, CT scan w/contrast, brain MRI, NED
4/16-4/18/2012 bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-ray, PET scan, CT scan w/contrast, brain MRI, NED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:53 pm 

I'm praying for lots of strength for you and Carlton and the girls. Hang in there, Grace.

Trish

8-15-05 - Took myself to the ER. X-Ray shows mass on right lung. Hospitalized 4 days - broncoscopy, pet scan, MRI, CT, port-a-cath. Dx NSCLC Stage IIIB,adeno with squamous characteristics. Quit smoking after 30 yrs.
Radiation x 25.
Chemo - Taxol, Carboplatin x 2; reaction to Taxol 2nd infusion.
Taxotere, Carboplatin x 4 - reaction to Carbo on 6th infusion.
Taxotere weekly.
Mediastinoscopy shows lymph node with cancer, hilar region. Pneumonectomy not possible. Good news is cancer is confined to right side.
Radiation x 10 - right hilar boost.
Taxotere weekly x 3 then every 3 weeks x 2. Last treatment scheduled for Feb. 3.
Pet scan scheduled for Feb. 17.

Mar. 1, 2006 - Hilar lymph node is completely clear! Lung tumor has shrunk more than 50%. Will do 3 rounds (every 3 weeks) of Taxotere to knock the remaining tumor into oblivion. After that, will probably begin Tarceva.

4/25/06 - New PET/CT scans.
4/28/06 - Onc. declares the tumor "virtually dead". Although some residual tumor remains, little to no activity is seen. Began Tarceva 4/29. Not NED but real darn close!

6/27/06 - Onc. visit -- all tumor markers are NORMAL!!!
PET scan July 27 - Stable - Residual disease cannot be excluded. Again, not NED but I'll take it.
Next onc. visit is August 27. Continue on Tarceva. Moving right along...
9/25/06 - Celebrated my 49th (yikes!) birthday. Next PET scan on 10/26.
10/31/06 - PET Scan - Stable! Next onc. visit Jan. '07

Nov. '07 - Tarceva stopped working. Tumor growth detected. Back on chemo -- Gemzar/Navelbine this time.
Feb. '08 - Thoracentesis.
March '08 - Finish chemo. Thoracentesis.
April '08 - Hospitalized 9 days for pleurodesis and broncoscopy. Results show malignant cells in bronchus. Begin 4 weekly brachytherapy treatments. Hospitalized after 1st treatment due to reaction to Dilaudid.
June '08 - 2 more brachytherapy treatments to reach back-end of tumor.
Pet Scan scheduled 7/15/08.
Feeling great, working full-time, hoping for the best for all of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:14 pm 

Grace, I am sorry I missed this post earlier. I hope that your dear Carlton has shown more improvement this afternoon. I know how frightened you must be, but please know that there are many people here praying for only good news.

Earl born 1/28/42 - dx 9/21/02 - died 8/18/04. He was the sunshine of my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:28 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

I hate cancer.

Prayers for you all.
Beat it!!

; 9/22/06 Sought MD for pain after multiple chiro visits useless, chest x-ray done, suspicious, CT scan (reading given later date of - 2.1 x 1.7cm tumor upper right lobe(primary source)18 x 12 mm right hylor lymph, strong pleura effusion.) Confirms need for PET scan
10/2/06 PET scan
10/4/06 PET results, lung cancer, both lungs, pleura and airway lymph’s. Confirms CT dx.
10/9/06 Needle biopsy
10/11/06 Dx Stage 3 Invasive NSCLC, Adenocarcinoma, by Pulmonary Doc
10/16/06 Dx Stage 4 not 3 but confirmed the rest, by Oncologist
10/20/06 2nd opinion, confirms dx with questionable diaphragm and liver involvement also.
10/25/06 Radiologist declines radiation
10/25/06 First Meyers Cocktail, given by Naturopath Doctor - Mega dosed Vitamins in IV form; Nutrients in Myers’ Cocktail
Magnesium chloride hexahydrate 20% (magnesium) 2-5 mL
Calcium gluconate 10% (calcium)1-3 mL
Hydroxocobalamin 1,000 mcg/mL (B12)1 mL
Pyridoxine hydrochloride 100mg/mL (B6)1 mL
Dexpanthenol 250 mg/mL (B5)1 mL
B complex 100 (B complex)1 mL
Vitamin C 222 mg/mL (C) 4-20 mL
Took 2 IV’s weekly till Jan 2007, then reduced to only Vitamin C injections. (thru remaining of chemo planned)
10/31/06 Oncologist schedules Carbo/Taxol/Avastin given one day every 21 days
11/2/06 Port-a-cath implanted for chemo
11/9/06 First chemo
11/10/06 She felt like Wonder Woman
11/11/06 Crashed from chemo. Nausea, vomiting, dizzy, tired, weak.
11/16/06 Returned to work, feeling better
11/21/06 Day 13, hair falling out
11/29/06 Second round chemo, Carbo/Taxol/Avastin. Chest X-ray viewed by Onc. Onc states Primary tumor upper right node is "GONE" (BY VEIWING FROM CHEST XRAY ONLY) reduction in Pleura involvement also.
12/05/06 Trip to ER for Stomach x-ray, constipation very bad. No blockage, not impacted. Loads of RX, no relief.
12/12/06 CT Scan and Pneumonia shot
12/14/06 ER for 101.8 temp under Tylenol, Found red raised hard lump at Pneumonia shot injection sight, given antibiotics.
12/20/06 Third round chemo, remains Carbo/Taxol/Avastin. First of three injections of Arasnesp given to raise hemoglobin, currently 10.2. CT results show significant reduction on all sites. Upper right lobe tumor reduced to 1.3 x 0.8 CM right hylor lymph reduced to 12 x 7 mm. Findings on pleura -Quote "I see no evidence of any effusion. Only a trace amount of fluid tracks along the lateral aspect of the left major fissure"
01/02/07 Dx with Sinus infection, nose bleeds continuously. Antibiotics. No fever.
01/03/2007 Changed from Vitamin C only injection to Meyers Cocktail again (immune system needing more help).
01/10/2007 4th round of chemo postponed. Hemoglobin low, 10.2 gave second injection of Arasnesp to raise it. Platelets also low at 50,000 (not the 100,000 wanted to continue chemo) Body will make own platelets, waiting. Postponed chemo one week.
01/12/07 Decision made to take leave of absence from job.
01/16/2007 Vitamin C IV given, very hard time getting vein up to inject
01/17/2007 4th round of chemo postponed again, Hemoglobin 10.2, third scheduled injection of Arasnesp not given (?), platelets not raising enough. 54,000 of desired 100,000. 4th round chemo rescheduled to 01/25/07. Naturopath doc also postpones IV injections till platelets raise, can not get into veins now ( port is not being used for injections). Gives powered Vitamin C at 10,000 (orally) 3 scoops daily and 8 oz Ploy MVA daily.(Poly-MVA also known as thioctic acid is a potent anti-oxidant which helps in generating energy in the body and also builds up a strong immune system. Research has proved that Poly-MVA serves as a powerful treatment to any kind of cancer) MIL cannot stand taste of powdered Vitamin C to hard to take, only taking 3 oz Poly MVA again doesn’t like taste.
01/25/07 Platelets up from 54,000 to 159,000 resumed chemo, same type but lesser dose. More dizziness the time, also very raspy throat at times and more clearing of the throat. She has increased pain killers for a new pain that is intensifying high up on the left lung (higher than the pleural effusion was). Scheduled for another shot of Arasnesp 1/31/07.
01/26/2007 Meyers Cocktail IV, veins were good.
02/13/2007 Chemo postponed, platelets low 64,000. Weight being maintained at 131 lbs. Chest x-ray viewed by Onc finds nothing of major concern. Chemo rescheduled for 2-22-2007.
02/15/2007 Vitamin C IV, still receiving weekly injections.
02/22/2007 Chemo given, still lesser dose. Side effects are considerably less intense, still present numbness in feet, bone cramp sensation in legs, weakness, hair loss……. Hemoglobin/White cell count very good (Hemo at 12) Continues Mega Dose Vitamin IV’s.
03/15/2007 Lab done in local hospital for blood counts. Platelets at 108,000, Hemoglobin at 12, white count very good.
03/16/2007 6th round and last scheduled Chemo given, lesser dose same combination. Chest x-ray due to complaint of newer pain. Feels like a pulled muscle, lower left lung area again. Chest X-ray did not show pneumonia. Onc not willing to say if tumor is visible from x-ray wants to wait for CT scan on 04/04/2007. He did state he thinks there is some pleura thinking again, could explain the pain. After CT reading options will be given according to the scans results.
05/2007 15 days of radiation to reduce incresing pain, new tumor and sprinkling or cancer in left lung. Weight loss, massive fatigue, weakened mind set. Possible nerve block for pain. On oral morphine, doubled at times. Anxiety attcks too...... continued progresion.

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Saying lots of prayers for you and your family Grace. Please remember to take good care of yourself thru all of this.

Lost Gram (75) to LC 3/13/05[/size]
MIL now fighting this BEAST.
Lost my beautiful Mom in law 12/19/09

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:40 am 

Dear Grace, I'm praying for your DH,and you and girls. I'm crying with you I really hope and pray .

1/22/07 John would say he is trucking w God now. Glad to have rode second seat with you. As you said "I'll see you again".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:36 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Grace,

I truly can't imagine what you're going through. I will keep you and Carlton and the girls in my prayers, as I know so many here are also doing. Thank you for keeping us updated -- I pray that you can feel all of our support there with you.

In loving memory of my best friend, soul mate and hubby, Bill (aka "bware21").
You are my most favorite person -- forever.

July 17, 1952 - July 16, 2007
(Ext. SCLC)

"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." - James 1:17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:32 pm 

Grace,

Hoping that the visit with the girls went well and still hoping and praying for the best.

Welthy

-10-9-07 - Chemo
FINAL TOTE BOARD:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:47 am 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Thank you again for the thoughts and prayers....

As far as how Carlton is doing, much better! ...he's talking more, not the potty mouth, but he is still agitated, I think it's mainly from the steroids and the fact that Carlton absolutely hates hospitals!

Also they moved him upstairs to a private room, alot less chaotic, I know that with alot of stimuli, it definitely upsets him. He had a cathadar(sp), awful!...but its' out, no restricted diet and he was able to walk better with the help of only one person!

But, and I hate buts, comes the other side, first he wants to come home, but not yet, so he takes all of his anger and frustrations on me! ( you always hurt the one you love!).

I also met w/ his oncologist yesterday, and not such good news, he looked at the initial reports of his MRI he had yesterday and it looks like the brain tumors have grown, thus causing all the trouble.
we ( onc. and I ) had a long, private talk yesterday, he's concerned about the girls and I, we wants Carlton to go to rehab for about a week, to let him recover more and give me a chance to rest and put things together.

In the right now, chemo isn't going to happen, because it appears that the etoposide didn't help this time around. He discussed whether or not, the decision of quality of life versus quantity of life, like a prolonging of life w/ chemo, but causing his quality to be low....

I hate this, drs, social workers, visiting nurses, hospice, rehab.....

No matter how hard I thought I was prepared, this has so thrown me for a loop.

..but as Carltons' abilities are coming back, it really is up to him in those moments of clarity and competence.

..one day at a time....
I am so overwhelmed by all of you with your support and prayers, I can't articulate with the right words how I need you all so much and you are here for me....it's a great comfort.

luv
Grace

5/24/06 finished w/ wbr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:02 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

((((Grace))))). My prayers continue...

Diagnosed 7/02 squamous cell carcinoma. Attempted surgery 8/02, sent home for chemo/rad. Began Carbo/taxol once a week for 4 weeks - rad. once a week at that time. Second surgery attempt 11/02 - sent home because of infection in good lung. January 2003 right pneumonectomy, on oxygen for six months. Final pathology - neuroendecrine carcinoma - carcinoid tumor. Currently NED. Mom, age 75 recently diagnosed with nslc lung cancer scheduled for surgery 6/13. Left upper lobe removed, follow-up chemo to begin 07/05.

Post subject: EastCoastLadi
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:17 pm 

Grace my prayers certainly continue for you also. You are going through so very much, it is overwhelming to just read your post. Please try to find time to give yourself some time.
Carol

Staged IIA by PET Scan.
Restaged to IIIA by surgeon prior to surgery, after he examined PET and CT Scan results.
4/7/05 Completed 6 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy (taxol/carboplatin).
4/29/05 CT Scan.
5/21/05 PET Scan.
5/31/05 Met with surgeon, PET Scan showed nodule in left lung lit up that never lit up before.
6/9/05 Biopsy=OK nodule is scar tissue.
7/1/05 BRONCHOSCOPY,
MEDIASTINOSCOPY, THORACOTOMY SURGERY=ALL MARGINS CLEAN, 20 LYMPH NODES REMOVED. PLUS ONE RIB BONE. ALL NEGATIVE FOR CANCER.
8/9/05 & 9/1/05 ADJUVANT CHEMO. 10/4/05 1ST CT SCAN="Defined patchy density at the superior segment of the right lower lobe. Findings are most likely related to recent surgery and/or posttreatment change, however, this should be followed on subsequent studies".
1/3/06 Brain CT=Clear;Chest CT=Scar Tissue.
1/4/06 ONE YEAR SINCE DIAGNOSIS
4/1/06 Brain & Chest CT=NED. 6/13/06 XRAY=NERD.
7/1/06 ONE YEAR SINCE SURGERY.
10/25/06 CT=NED.
1/4/07 TWO YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
5/3/07 CT=NED.
7/1/07 TWO YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
11/6/07 CT=NED
PLEASE continue to keep me in your prayers.WHEN PRAISES GO UP, BLESSINGS COME DOWN.[/size]
1/4/08 THREE YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/20/08 CT=NED
6/20/08 X-RAY=NED
7/1/08 THREE YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
10/27/08 CT=NED
1/4/09 FOUR YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/26/09 X-RAY=NED
7/1/09 FOUR YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
9/17/09 CHEST X-RAY CEA BLOOD TEST=NED
1/4/10 FIVE YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/29/10 X-RAY=NED
10/5/10 CT=NED
4/1/11 X-RAY=NED
7/1/11 SIX YEARS SINCE SURGERY
10/10/11 X-RAY=NED
4/15/12 CT/PET=NED
4/18/13 CT=NEW 3MM NODULE FOUND ON UPPER LEFT LOBE
10/17/13 CT=NED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:35 pm 

Still praying for you all Grace...

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR CUSTOM SUPPORT/MEMORY BRACELET. A PORTION OF EACH SALE GOES DIRECTLY TO LUNGEVITY
www.ilovinglyremember.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:42 pm 
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

Grace,
continued prayers that Carlton improves.

Husband Alan 58 dx small cell LC
1/10/05 chest x-ray shows 7 x 7 cm mass right hilar region
1/12/05 broncscopy confirms small cell L.c w/ superior vena cava syndrome
1/12/5 1st radiation treatment
1/18/05 meet with medical oncologist
1/20/05 1st chemo treatment cisplatin-CPT 11
1/21/05 brain, bone, adomen scans all clear
1/27/05 2nd chemo treatment CPT-11
1/31/05 Alan admitted to hospital,high fever,
infections
2/5/05 released from hospital
2/13/05 Alan admitted to hospital in a sever
altered state, cause unknown, brain scan clear
2/15/05 Alan returns to reality
2/17-18-19 new chemo given in hospital
Cisplatin VPT 16. this would turn out to be
Alan's last chemo treatment
2/20 released from hospital
2/23 re-admitted due to recurrance of altered
state. dx organic psycosis caused by Decadron
2/26/05 platlette transfusion then released
from hospital
3/1/05 follow up appointment with oncologist,
something not right Alan rushed across the
street re-admitted back into the hospital
11:00am Bilateral pneumonia
3/1/05 7:00pm Alan condition declining. 10
liter oxygen, BP very low, heart rate too high
Alan now taken to ICU I am asked what life
saving measures I want hospital to take
3/2/05 Alan made it through the night.
3/5/05 6:00am hospital calls me at home,
Alan crashing again, need to get there
asap.may have to go on vent.
3/5/05 emergancey broncoscopy to remove
fluid from Alan's lungs, keeps him off vent still not out of the woods
3/11/05 confirmed Alan has a blood infection.
now VRE infectous disease specialist called in
3/12/05 2 pints of blood
3/16/05 blood clot found behing alan's left knee
3/17/05 chest tube put in
3/18/05 Alan misses his daughter's wedding
3/19/05 Alan's birthday, finally out of ICU and
transfered to cancer ward
3/22/05 Chest CT 4 new spots in left lung
3/24/05 broncoscopy to biopsy new spots
3/31/05 Alan finally home on oxygen 24/7
4/18/05 Alan's case brought before tumor board
4/22/05 follow up chest CT no changes in new spots
4/27/05 appointment with oncologist Alan still
too weak to try chemo. discontinued at this time. Tumor is shrinking
5/9/05 Alan starts 35 chest radiation treatments
6/3/05 tumor still shrinking blood work getting better
6/28/05 last radiation treatment oxygen only at night now
6/30/05 appt with med onc, Alan having
headaches brain MRI ordered
7/7/05 Brain MRI completed
7/12/05 confirmed Brain mets. 3.0 x 3.5cm
tumor in the right cerebellar hempisphere
w/sever edema crushing brain stem
7/12/05 start WBR Alan unable to take decadron
7/14/05 Alan in emergancy room dehydrated
from vomiting caused by brain swelling
8/1/05 I decide to take FML and spend time with Alan
8/15/05 Alan makes remarkable recovery and
we leave for 3 week vacation
9/1/05 last radiation treatment to brain tumor
9/28/05 follow up brain MRI no sign of tumor!!!!
11/11/05 Chest CT 1 spot has increased from
1.3cm back to 3.0cm watch and wait
1/10/06 made it 1 year, Brain MRI
show no further cancer
3/10/06 CT Scan Lungs Stable
6/20/06 CT Scan Lungs new 3cm mass
6/22/06 PET Scan negative. watch and wait.
7/18/06 Needle biopsy done, waiting results
7/21/06 get the call NED

1/02/07 confirmed cancer in the right supraclavicular lymph node
1/03/07 Start Radiation treatments
2/27/07 Last Radiation treatment!!
6/4/07 NED once again!!!
12/20/07 cancer back in several lymph nodes. Chemo to start 12/26/07
01/18/08 Blood counts low, check into hospital for transfusion. Chemo delayed until counts come back up
02/08/08 Another blood transfusion
02/15/08 Blood counts back up continue chemo
02/29/08 Overnight stay in hospital for another blood transfusion
03/12/08 Thoracentesis 600cc of fluid drained from right lung.
03/22/08 Admitted to hospital for another blood transfusion
04/18/08 Admitted for 5th blood transfusion since Jan.
06/28/08 4:00pm Alan goes home to God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:12 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Grace,

Beyond the compasion that wells in us all each time we hear of your story, I for one want you to know that with each post you are also helping others.

To learn that others are going thru things that have simularities, that others may struggle with decisions and just the coping of emotions is an on going blessing. I hope you, one day will know that thru all of this you have been a big help to others in your honsety and love. Just as you have to me.

Still praying,
Beat it!!

; 9/22/06 Sought MD for pain after multiple chiro visits useless, chest x-ray done, suspicious, CT scan (reading given later date of - 2.1 x 1.7cm tumor upper right lobe(primary source)18 x 12 mm right hylor lymph, strong pleura effusion.) Confirms need for PET scan
10/2/06 PET scan
10/4/06 PET results, lung cancer, both lungs, pleura and airway lymph’s. Confirms CT dx.
10/9/06 Needle biopsy
10/11/06 Dx Stage 3 Invasive NSCLC, Adenocarcinoma, by Pulmonary Doc
10/16/06 Dx Stage 4 not 3 but confirmed the rest, by Oncologist
10/20/06 2nd opinion, confirms dx with questionable diaphragm and liver involvement also.
10/25/06 Radiologist declines radiation
10/25/06 First Meyers Cocktail, given by Naturopath Doctor - Mega dosed Vitamins in IV form; Nutrients in Myers’ Cocktail
Magnesium chloride hexahydrate 20% (magnesium) 2-5 mL
Calcium gluconate 10% (calcium)1-3 mL
Hydroxocobalamin 1,000 mcg/mL (B12)1 mL
Pyridoxine hydrochloride 100mg/mL (B6)1 mL
Dexpanthenol 250 mg/mL (B5)1 mL
B complex 100 (B complex)1 mL
Vitamin C 222 mg/mL (C) 4-20 mL
Took 2 IV’s weekly till Jan 2007, then reduced to only Vitamin C injections. (thru remaining of chemo planned)
10/31/06 Oncologist schedules Carbo/Taxol/Avastin given one day every 21 days
11/2/06 Port-a-cath implanted for chemo
11/9/06 First chemo
11/10/06 She felt like Wonder Woman
11/11/06 Crashed from chemo. Nausea, vomiting, dizzy, tired, weak.
11/16/06 Returned to work, feeling better
11/21/06 Day 13, hair falling out
11/29/06 Second round chemo, Carbo/Taxol/Avastin. Chest X-ray viewed by Onc. Onc states Primary tumor upper right node is "GONE" (BY VEIWING FROM CHEST XRAY ONLY) reduction in Pleura involvement also.
12/05/06 Trip to ER for Stomach x-ray, constipation very bad. No blockage, not impacted. Loads of RX, no relief.
12/12/06 CT Scan and Pneumonia shot
12/14/06 ER for 101.8 temp under Tylenol, Found red raised hard lump at Pneumonia shot injection sight, given antibiotics.
12/20/06 Third round chemo, remains Carbo/Taxol/Avastin. First of three injections of Arasnesp given to raise hemoglobin, currently 10.2. CT results show significant reduction on all sites. Upper right lobe tumor reduced to 1.3 x 0.8 CM right hylor lymph reduced to 12 x 7 mm. Findings on pleura -Quote "I see no evidence of any effusion. Only a trace amount of fluid tracks along the lateral aspect of the left major fissure"
01/02/07 Dx with Sinus infection, nose bleeds continuously. Antibiotics. No fever.
01/03/2007 Changed from Vitamin C only injection to Meyers Cocktail again (immune system needing more help).
01/10/2007 4th round of chemo postponed. Hemoglobin low, 10.2 gave second injection of Arasnesp to raise it. Platelets also low at 50,000 (not the 100,000 wanted to continue chemo) Body will make own platelets, waiting. Postponed chemo one week.
01/12/07 Decision made to take leave of absence from job.
01/16/2007 Vitamin C IV given, very hard time getting vein up to inject
01/17/2007 4th round of chemo postponed again, Hemoglobin 10.2, third scheduled injection of Arasnesp not given (?), platelets not raising enough. 54,000 of desired 100,000. 4th round chemo rescheduled to 01/25/07. Naturopath doc also postpones IV injections till platelets raise, can not get into veins now ( port is not being used for injections). Gives powered Vitamin C at 10,000 (orally) 3 scoops daily and 8 oz Ploy MVA daily.(Poly-MVA also known as thioctic acid is a potent anti-oxidant which helps in generating energy in the body and also builds up a strong immune system. Research has proved that Poly-MVA serves as a powerful treatment to any kind of cancer) MIL cannot stand taste of powdered Vitamin C to hard to take, only taking 3 oz Poly MVA again doesn’t like taste.
01/25/07 Platelets up from 54,000 to 159,000 resumed chemo, same type but lesser dose. More dizziness the time, also very raspy throat at times and more clearing of the throat. She has increased pain killers for a new pain that is intensifying high up on the left lung (higher than the pleural effusion was). Scheduled for another shot of Arasnesp 1/31/07.
01/26/2007 Meyers Cocktail IV, veins were good.
02/13/2007 Chemo postponed, platelets low 64,000. Weight being maintained at 131 lbs. Chest x-ray viewed by Onc finds nothing of major concern. Chemo rescheduled for 2-22-2007.
02/15/2007 Vitamin C IV, still receiving weekly injections.
02/22/2007 Chemo given, still lesser dose. Side effects are considerably less intense, still present numbness in feet, bone cramp sensation in legs, weakness, hair loss……. Hemoglobin/White cell count very good (Hemo at 12) Continues Mega Dose Vitamin IV’s.
03/15/2007 Lab done in local hospital for blood counts. Platelets at 108,000, Hemoglobin at 12, white count very good.
03/16/2007 6th round and last scheduled Chemo given, lesser dose same combination. Chest x-ray due to complaint of newer pain. Feels like a pulled muscle, lower left lung area again. Chest X-ray did not show pneumonia. Onc not willing to say if tumor is visible from x-ray wants to wait for CT scan on 04/04/2007. He did state he thinks there is some pleura thinking again, could explain the pain. After CT reading options will be given according to the scans results.
05/2007 15 days of radiation to reduce incresing pain, new tumor and sprinkling or cancer in left lung. Weight loss, massive fatigue, weakened mind set. Possible nerve block for pain. On oral morphine, doubled at times. Anxiety attcks too...... continued progresion.

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:37 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Prayers, prayers and more prayers for Carlton and for you Grace. I hope when you are not at the hospital you are getting some much needed and deserved rest.

Start chemo with taxol and carbo on 6/23
Went in for a port on 6/29/06 and during the procedure my left lung collapsed
Released from hospital on 7/3/05
Resumed daily radiation and chemo once a week starting on 7/5/06
Completed chemo on 8/4/06 and radiation on 8/8/06. Appt. w/ onc 8/25/06 - hemoglobin a little low everything else looked good.
10/2/06 Stable
12/13/06 Stable
2/14/07 Stable
5/4/07 Stable
7/30/07 Stable
1/20/08 Managed another birthday
1/24/08 Bone Biopsy T2 - not performed because they said it was too dangerous
Feb. 2008 - start radiation to spine and Zometa infusion
3/27/08 Bone Scan scheduled due to shoulder pain
May 08 New spot in lower lobe of right lung and a couple of spots in lymph nodes. Going back into chemo and general radiation on lymph nodes and cyberknife to the lower right lobe.
Shoulder pain was determined to be a torn rotator cuff.
Ruptured disc in lower back.
July 08 ... started Avastin/Taxotere/Zometa to be given every 3 weeks.
MRIof lowerback and chest CT scheduled for August.
Spinal Injecttion for ruptured disk pain 8/18/08
CT of chest, pelvis and abdomen on 8/25/08
Brain MRI 11/7/08
2 small and 1 large tumor in brain start WBR 10/19/08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:04 pm 

Grace... Still praying for you both and thinking of you almost non-stop.

]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:22 pm 

Many faithful prayers, Grace.
We are with you and we care.
pat

3/2/05 1st cycle Cisplatin / VP16 - Tolerated fairly well.
3/23/05 2nd cycle - really knocked Brian for a loop. Lots of nausea and weakness.
4/5/05 scan 4/13/05 (onc visit/results/begin 3rd round:mixed news: reduction in tumor sizes TX plan: 2 more rounds of Cisplatin/Vp16 Weekly labs to watch low hmglbn (injections prn)
4/20/05 Brain MRI (Bri joins empty head club!)
4/27/05 Portacath installation
5/4/05 4th round cpltn/VP16 much difficulty w/ side effects.
5/10/05 scans show no further reduction of lung or liver tumors.
5/25/05 5th cycle Cis/VP16 postponed till 5/31/05 (need time to rebound a bit) round 5 was rough: exhaustion, labored breathing, fever, anxiety.
6/23/05 Doc appointment to address above and okay Tarceva start. Lung Xray done to check for pneumonia as possible explanation for fever.
6/24/05 Begin Tarceva 150mg daily.
next scheduled onc appt or PRN for 8/4/05
6/27/05 OOPS PRN came sooner rather than later>call from onc: chest film showed lung tumor growing quickly
6/27/05 CT scheduled for 7PM
6/30/05 Bad news per CT: progression. Brian is too weak for more chemo so praying that Tarceva will halt growth while Brian gathers strength to fight on.
8/2Scans
8/4/2005 onc appt:Bad news Rapid progression. Off Tarceva.
8/4 began Carboplatin/CPT-11 Praying!
9/1/2005 Chemo had been postponed due to low white blood cells, but began again today.
9/8/2005 next infusion
Brian is very ill, problems w/ voice. Scans & Visit moved up:
9/16/2005 CT Scan
9/19/2005 Onc says scans show significant reduction in tumor volume. Plan is to continue CPT 11 alone for 3 more weeks then 2 weeks off so Brian can gain strength for family wedding in FL on 10/22/05. Carboplatin has to be stopped due to progressing nueropathy.
10/17-19/05 Bri hospitalized with abdominal pain and fever.
10/20-24/05 FL for wedding (Brian was really too sick to go, but we realized that too late)
10/27/05 Scans taken during hospitalization show remarkable progression of disease. Brian begins Alimta and Sandostatin.
He is very ill and spending more and more time in bed.
11/10/2005 No more Alimta. Liver enzymes out of control. More progression. He is receiving Navelbine and low doses of Carboplatin. Brian continues to trend downward.
12-22-05 Onc says no more tx. Brian is too weak.
12-24-05 Hospice called in.
1/01/06 Brian is called Home.
Brian's love remains a great gift. I miss him like fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:25 pm 
Legacy Member

Grace, our prayers continue for you and your family.

Tracy

4/11/06 VATS; multiple nodules in lung lining; adenocarcinoma stage IIIb/IV
4/23/06 got into Tarceva trial; start Tarceva 4/28; stable after six weeks; progression after 12 weeks; off Tarceva on to Carbo/Taxol/Avastin
7/28/06 Brain MRI clear; start Carbo/Taxol/Avastin 6 cycles
9/06-12/07 scans show reduction in all tumors and lymph nodes; Large mass less solid; pleural effusion gone; all else stable; feeling good, starting on just Avastin
12/15 TURNED 40 TODAY!!!!
1/07 - 5/07 stability followed by some progression; nodules now in left lung; moving on to alimta
5/07 - 9/07 Alimta held it stable, then followed by slight progression; taking a chemo break
9/07-1/08 chemo break; end result significant interval progression. Fluid in right lung, innumerable nodules in both lungs, primary has doubled in size; Start Selicicilib trial; turned 41!
1/08-7/08 Results after 7 months on seliciclib trial are stable disease. No growth, no spread, and some reduction of pleural effusion. Continuing on with trial.
8/29/08 progression after 8 months; out of trial, starting Taxotere
1/09 another mixed bag, including a met to spine; begin 10 treaments of radiation; will start a clinical trial when done
2/09-5/09- Clinical trial of IPI-504; stability after first two cyces, mild progression after four cycles; off of trial, time to radiate back for pain relief, then on to chemotherapy TBD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:46 pm 

Grace,
It's amazing isn't it, how one day things can seem like they are going one way, and the next things seem semi normal. Emphasis on semi. Carlton sounds like he is fighting like hell. I think that counts for so much!
My sis and I are going through a very similar time right now.
You and your family are in my prayers. YOu are a strong lady!
Love,
Marco Jo

11/06 Completes 8th round of chemo!Consults for PCI.
11/30/06 Admitted to hospital-Low sodium, slight pericardial effusion, small spots on brain.
12/02/06 Comes home! Begins WBR-15 rounds. Sodium good, watching pericardial effusion.
12/12 MRI of spine confirms soft masses near spine causing flank /back pain. Will begin 10 rounds of radiation.
1/02/07 admitted to the hospital for shortness of breath. In for a few days, then sent home w/oxygen as needed. Begins topotecan once a week for five weeks.
1/17 Went to see doctor after several days of extreme fatigue that did not feel right. Admitted to the hospital for low sodium again. Put on antibiotic for sodium. Out in two days! Continuing chemo...
1/29/07 Admitted to hospital again- coughing, pain, shortness of breath. Treated for pneumonia, fluid drained from lung...working on a plan.
2/07 Begins 2nd ine chemo-topotecan-once a week for three weeks.
2/02 admitted to hospital w/shortness of breath. Stops chemo-begins radiation on lung-seems to be doing well, then has pain begin in her back, then legs. Becomes confused and we realize it is her liver as well...
3/1/07 Jeannine leaves us for her next journey...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:40 pm 

I'm praying for,Grace. Yes they seem to hurt the one they love,cause they trust us and know we can take it. J ohn didn't talk to me for about 2 weeks,cause he wanted to go after the big truck 1000 miles away. So he did get better after ahile. I acted like a duck and left it all run off me. My heart go's out to you,I know each step we take we don't know how the ground is going to feel. But you will make it cause you also have your beautful girls. God Bless,we are here to hear you out and help if only with words. Prayering

1/22/07 John would say he is trucking w God now. Glad to have rode second seat with you. As you said "I'll see you again".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:46 pm 
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

I cannot imagine how you are feeling--I hope you have someone nearby to lean on. Prayers and hugs

gail

breast cancer 1993: lumpectomy/radiation
Both stage 1

Avatar picture - my guys at my 50th

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:24 pm 

HOw lucky Carlton is to have you by his side. I have you both in my thoughts and prayers
Jen

11/07: bronchoscopy - path report shows squamous cell NSCLC
11/13: another appt with pulmonologist - nothing really new - scheduled PET scan
11/23: PET scan
11/25: 1st apointment at Dana Farber (our second opinion). Medical oncologist thinks it's stage IIIa (or B) - no R sided or mediastinal Lymph nodes "lit up" Med onc says since we're probably gonna start with shemo only, it's not worth doing mediastinoscopy since it won't change treatment.
12/1: mom due to start Taxol/Carbo, but didn't tolerate the Taxol - SOB
12/5: Mom meets rad onc who recommends concurrent chemo and radiation (despite her age) because she's getting hoarse.
12/8: chemo resumes with Carbo/etopside (1 day of both, then just etopside for 2 days)
2/4/07 23 of 30 radiation treatments completed!!! and just finished 3rd round of chemo. SOme fatigue, and pain swallowing, but both pretty minor and tolerable.
Finished Radiation scheduled for CT 3/2
3/2 - results look good!!! waiting for official report, but onc very happy with amount of shrinkage.
She's calling Mom her poster child for 80+ year olds with lung cancer
3/17/07 - Met with onc to go over results PET scan - NED!!!!!
4/28/07 Met with thoracic surgeon who thinks we should do a wedge resection. Mom doesn't really want the surgery, but doesn't want any cancer cells left inside to do their mischief
5/20 Mom decides to go ahead with surgery - scheduled for 6/4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:22 pm 

You are doing great with Carlton. I know how much it hurts to be dumped on but at least you know why.

Keep hanging strong...

Sending prayer to you both.

Maryanne :cry:

Adenocarcinoma- stage 1B
Lobectomy Left upper lobe on 12/15/04
biopsy on lymph nodes - negative NED
1/13/04 Oncologist appt.to see about preventive Chemo.
Cancelled due to chronic fatigue
1/12 fentynal patch for pain
1/14 discontinued Fentynal patch bad reaction
1/15 Blood test showed high T levels
2/1 Endoconrinologist visit diagnosed over-active thyroid
2/8/05 took Radioactive Iodine to kill thyroid
2/16/05 appetite back, fatigue leaving
2/24/05 visit with Pulmonary Doc. Breathing at 96% capacity,
Next visit 3 mos.
3/9/05 Endocrinologist visit -T levels went from 25 down to 5.
3/30 started Synthoid(thyroid med)
3/31 Oncologist. appt. CT results NED...
4/14 starting adjunctive Chemo (carbo/taxol) 4 treatments
3 weeks apart.
6/15/05 Joel finished chemo, chest X-ray clear, Next CT in August
9/01/05 1st CT since Chemo.. NED
11/17/05 CT - small nodule found 4 or 5 mil. in his good lung
1/10/06 CT - nodule Stable
7/2006 CT/ Nodule stable
10/2006 CT Nodule seem to have grown from 4 to 7 mil.
10/2006 Pet- showed some uptake
10/2006- operation- wedge section right upper lobe turned out to be cancerous 2 nodules next to each other. 2 different types of cancer. 1 squamous cell carcinoma (new primary)2- adenocarcinoma-(not sure if new primary or metastasis)
May be restaged to IIIB
11/07/2006 will start 4 rounds of taxotere. 3 weeks apart. Will take Decadron before, day of and day after. Will get a shot of Leunesta the day after. Here we go again.. Joel's attitude.... great as usual
Horrible reaction to the neulasta shots. One night(New Years eve) went to ER. Spent 3 days in hosptal.
Feb 2007 finished chemo.
March 2007 had his CT .. as expected right now all is clear.
June 2007 NED!!!
Sept 07- CT- small nodule 3.5 mm
Going to do another CT in 6 weeks.
October 07- CT done, results STABLE...YEA
Jan. 2008... STABLE!!!
April 2008 little growth but still called stable
July 17 208 nodule doubled in size to 9mm. Needs Pet Scan, tests, hopefully cyberknife...
July 29 met with his surgeon... said Cyberknife is the way to go.
August 1- Cyberknife visit... Joel is a canidate, its a go...Happy B-day Joel...
Sept 22, 2008 finshed up the last of 3 cyberknife procedures
Nov. had CT scan
Nov. 9th results of CT from Cyberknife..... Tumor completely gone... right now NED!!!
Feb. 09- Pet/CT results. . . NEd!!!
May 09 Pet/CT results. . . NED!!!
Sept. 09 Pet/CT results.....NED!!
Jan. 2010--- NED!! Pet now will be every 6 months.
June 8,2010 Pet scan on our Anniversary... hope thats a good sign..
June 17, NED!!!
Dec. 30,2010... NED!!!
June 20,2011... NED!!!
March 2012....NED!!!

pic of Joel and our daughter Nicole at walk NOV. 07

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/beansprouts2005/nik_and_dad_1LC_walk.jpg[/img]

http://www.babababies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:47 am 

Thinking of you this morning Grace. You, Carlton and the girls remain in my prayers. God has really big shoulders so just try and rest some of your worries on Him.

Wife of Dennis King, diagnosed with extensive SCLC 02-02. Treated with CPT-11 & Cisplatin as first round of treatment; Topetecan second round. Lost his brave battle with cancer 12-15-02. Dennis is lovingly missed by his family and friends each and every day!

"Each time we embrace a memory, we meet once again with those we love ~
for the heart never forgets."

Every now and then soft as breath upon my skin, I feel you come back again....and I believe.